7.3 no start

Comptech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ether it is.. I have a vehicle here with a huge alternator I'm going to hook up while I'm cranking..

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's only a few basics you need... fuel, air, compression and timing. For the IDI's, they definitely like glow plugs functional too. If it won't even fire once with ether, I'd be looking at the latter two.

You have a squirt at #1 line but it is still possible that the IP is worn to the point it won't pop the injectors. It may also be worth checking compression (some testers have an adapter to the glow plug hole). Pretty unlikely to be timing if the housing hasn't been off.

Comptech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have fuel to 1 and 3 injectors.I pulled an IP off of a motor that was running 2 hrs before and installed it.Nothing..im putting it in the garage..65 degrees in there..plug block heater in and hose it with ether.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He says he has fuel at two injectors, at least... so there should be something happening when it's cranked over.

Comptech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes,shrader let's out fuel only..no air.. disconnected return at back of head.. lots of return fuel..pulled fss..body of inj pump full of fuel..I don't have a compression tester that works with diesel.. i have been driving idi for years..it's got compression.. this truck was taken to a transmission shop with transmission issues.. driven there by previous owner..it languished in their yard for over a year.. I bought it.. went ahead and purchased a 1994 IDIT engine to put in it.. it just bugs me that this one won't start. Plus it looks like a lot of work..lol

Comptech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just by pure luck that I happened to read that the IDIT uses a different flex plate than the non-turbo. I could not locate a new one anywhere, had to buy a used one. And by the way they are not just laying everywhere..

Black dawg

Reaction score
All this cranking and still no smoke? I have seen low compression not make any smoke. Sometimes a fight to get one that has been sitting to run, and then after that they are ok.

Have you ever done the gasoline soaked rag trick on an IDI?

Comptech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, but my brother just recommended doing just that. I think I'm going to dump a small amount of oil down the intake to get a good seal on all the rings, and try the gasoline soaked rag.

Black dawg

Reaction score
No, but my brother just recommended doing just that. I think I'm going to dump a small amount of oil down the intake to get a good seal on all the rings, and try the gasoline soaked rag.

problem is, only the rear cylinders will get oil. Just squirt some in the glow plug holes, and crank before installing plugs to blow any extra out.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While cranking, tap on the injectors. You may have siezed pintles if the truck sat with some water in the fuel. That would explain the large amount of fuel being returned.

Comptech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to thank everybody for their help. I've been driving IDI diesels for 25 years, and only have had to use ether once.It won't even attempt to fire on the ether with the block heater plugged in, Good batteries and starter and a known good injection pump. If it's not going to fire on ether, it's not going to fire. I'm going to put that IDIT engine in and be done with it. Again I would like to thank everyone.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before you go through with an entire engine swap... pull an injector out and take one of the injection lines out of the clamp. Loosen the line at the pump and rotate it so the injector end is pointing up. Carefully screw the injector in and crank the engine. You may not have any injectors firing.