7.3 low on power

racecar

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone can help me with my 4600 international with 7.3 idi. I know this might not be the right forum. The truck has a 5 spd with a 2spd rear end. It sometimes has ok power but most of the time it really seems to be low on power on the hwy. If it thinks a hill is coming it starts to slow down. what should I look at first? I put a pyro in the exhaust manifold at when you have it to the floor on a long hill ( 35 mph) I get 1200 degree temps. Has 50,000 miles on it, starts easy, new lift pump. any info would be appreciated.

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have any smoke when the engine is loaded?

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone can help me with my 4600 international with 7.3 idi. I know this might not be the right forum. The truck has a 5 spd with a 2spd rear end. It sometimes has ok power but most of the time it really seems to be low on power on the hwy. If it thinks a hill is coming it starts to slow down. what should I look at first? I put a pyro in the exhaust manifold at when you have it to the floor on a long hill ( 35 mph) I get 1200 degree temps. Has 50,000 miles on it, starts easy, new lift pump. any info would be appreciated.

how much does this truck weigh?

racecar

Reaction score
no smoke when it is loaded and the truck weighs i think 12,000 lbs. It is geared really low...2600rpm (on Tach) about 55 mph.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
no smoke when it is loaded and the truck weighs i think 12,000 lbs. It is geared really low...2600rpm (on Tach) about 55 mph.

that is about 4.56 gears i think dont hold me to it but i think thats it, and since its an international brand truck it probly has an international injection pump which means your limited to about 26-2800 rpm givre or take, ford trucks have injection pumps calibrated for 33-3800 rpm, some peoples wont hit 3800 and some people on here have mixed feeling about revving them high, but the way i look at it is if it come from the factory set to tach that then its safe to tach it to that, always what my grandpa tells me hes never blew an engine up in his life time,

A few more usable rpm probly wouldnt hurt it seems like you running the max fule you can right now with the egts being that high you might want to put a nice free flowing exasut with a non restrictve free flowing muffler and maybe a ram-air or cool air intake, i prefer ram air:dunno

Or you could do the ultimate power upgrade which is a turbocharger;Really

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Considering the type of truck it is, it should already have a good free flowing exhaust.
Stupid question, but when was the last time you changed the fuel filter?
What year is the thing. Not many miles on it, but injection pump or injectors could be getting weak from age .

racecar

Reaction score
thanks guys. It seems not to rev higher than 2800. Can you rev them higher with out hurting them? what is the red line on a 7.3? The year is 91 and I have changed the fuel filters twice lately. Can I put a ford truck injector pump on it? My egt prob is in the exhaust manifold what is the max temps i should push? The muffler on the thing is retarded.....we had to cut out a couple of baffles to get some flow but it is still restricted. we had higher egts before we cut the muffler. I have an idi factory turbo on the bench to put on this truck and a bought a 7.3 powerstroke intercooler. I just want to sort out this thing before I put the turbo on. It will take some screwing around to make it work. This morning it had more power and sounded better then after a hill or two it seemed to loose a little power and then later in the morning it seemed to be ok again. Should I get the pump checked or check the timing?
Thanks

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
thanks guys. It seems not to rev higher than 2800. Can you rev them higher with out hurting them? what is the red line on a 7.3? The year is 91 and I have changed the fuel filters twice lately. Can I put a ford truck injector pump on it? My egt prob is in the exhaust manifold what is the max temps i should push? The muffler on the thing is retarded.....we had to cut out a couple of baffles to get some flow but it is still restricted. we had higher egts before we cut the muffler. I have an idi factory turbo on the bench to put on this truck and a bought a 7.3 powerstroke intercooler. I just want to sort out this thing before I put the turbo on. It will take some screwing around to make it work. This morning it had more power and sounded better then after a hill or two it seemed to loose a little power and then later in the morning it seemed to be ok again. Should I get the pump checked or check the timing?
Thanks

you can put a ford pump on redline is 3300 some tach higher some lower, if i were you i would check timing may be to reterted, 1250 is max egt for short period of time, 1100 is a good sestainted temputature

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
on a IH 4600, you're governed at 2800.
two things you can do here.
one. put in a ford pickup injection pump. those govern anywhere from 3300 to 3800.
two. to make use of the higher range, you need to turbocharge and intercool.
the motor can take it. the big stuff is engineered to go no faster than 63mph due to its vocational nature. in reality, they can do more, much more;Sweet

racecar

Reaction score
thanks again. Is there any links someone can give me on how to check timing etc..but a link that a 10 year fat boy could understand. This truck burns so clean and has no black smoke at all ever..maybe a little on start up. Is this common with this type of set up?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
thanks again. Is there any links someone can give me on how to check timing etc..but a link that a 10 year fat boy could understand. This truck burns so clean and has no black smoke at all ever..maybe a little on start up. Is this common with this type of set up?

Use the search feature lots of threads on timing, but all require special equipment. If we knew where you were, you might be near sombody here who has the goodies already who could help you out.

racecar

Reaction score
Just to give an update incase some else has the same problems with there idi. Took the IP off and had it tested....pump was bad, had it rebuilt. This made a big difference, but still does not smoke at all and still had 1200 temp on hard pull. When we removed the IP we noticed it was not lined up with the lines on the pump and housing but we installed it on the marks we made. Today we advanced the pump a dime roughly and it seems to run better with a little more power and smoke. Seemed to rattle more at higher rpm and ran smoother and quieter at mid and lower rpm, is this normal?

Thanks

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds normal to me. Where did you have your pump tested? Most shops won't put a used pump on their test rigs due to the risk of damage shutting down their shop.