7.3 knock

JC4440

Reaction score
Hey guys long time reader . Always wanted a idi I don’t know a whole lot about them thought . I bought a 1993 7.3 turbo diesel not running . Finally got it running and it has a very low knock that gets louder as it warms up . There’s definitely blowby but idk what’s a normal amout for these engines . I have a video of it running just no idea how to post it . It idles with white smoke . It bellows out black soot when you rev it up . What are the odds it’s only an injector are burnt valve verses blown piston it sounds like the knocks up top

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Knock might be a bad injector or 2, does it sound like it’s missing if you rev it up some?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha Trevor you sure know about that injector knock now!

Try loosing one injection line at a time till fuel starts seeping out and see if you can find any change in the knock. If you do it’s an injector that’s your issue

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Injectors make a knock sound when stuck or bad or non working, I forgot to tighten one of mine and i thought I blew up my engine lol

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Knocking + white smoke? Time for a new set of injectors, then you'll need to re-time the engine(usually advance it due to the higher pop-pressure of the new injectors).