7.3 IDI swap

Chuckanut245

Reaction score
Hey guys, I want to do a 7.3 IDI swap in my 86 cucv I know it’s been done I just can’t find any information about it when I go onto other forums I can’t look at the pictures because it says I have to upgrade my account or something and I was hoping if you guys could help me if anyone knows or if anyone has done the swap what I need to do to get started, most important thing I need to know is with the engine mounts be almost in the same spot as a 6.2 diesel? Because I do not want to weld to the frame I want to avoid that at all cost
Thanks guys!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I do know that the two engines use completely different styles of motor mounts. As for the locations, that's a hard one unless someone has both sitting around. Then you also have the question of whether or the two vehicles are designed to have their engines sit in the same spot in relation to the motor mounts. Maybe one engine sits farther back, but has motor mounts that sit farther forward on the engine. I would guess that you'll have to do some welding on the frame in order to do this swap.

Chuckanut245

Reaction score
I do know that the two engines use completely different styles of motor mounts. As for the locations, that's a hard one unless someone has both sitting around. Then you also have the question of whether or the two vehicles are designed to have their engines sit in the same spot in relation to the motor mounts. Maybe one engine sits farther back, but has motor mounts that sit farther forward on the engine. I would guess that you'll have to do some welding on the frame in order to do this swap.
I know they’re dramatically different engines but where the engine mounts are on the block I’m sure or not that far off I just want to know if I can get possibly a 12 valve crossmember designed for a square body and weld to that and then bolted into the frame.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
If you look in the archives, we had a member put a 7.3 IDI into a square body dually…. It’s been a while back. I think the member is Genlightning……

I think this is the build thread….. or it at least gets you pointed in the right direction….

Last edited:

Chuckanut245

Reaction score
If you look in the archives, we had a member put a 7.3 IDI into a square body dually…. It’s been a while back. I think the member is Genlightning……

I think this is the build thread….. or it at least gets you pointed in the right direction….

I do know who you’re talking about but I can’t see all the pictures it says I need to upgrade my account and I really don’t wanna pay a monthly fee.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online