7.3 idi race truck

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah 11'2-12's is "possible" but much harder than you think with these engines. I've built a lot of 11 second cars and between head gaskets, transmissions, cracked pistons, they were always touchy. The 8 second car was more reliable because it was completely custom. i think you would be doing a hell of a job if you make a truck that can be run everyday and gets mid to high 14's.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im putting a single hx35 on my truck soon but two idk theyre slightly larger than the ats turbo (got sitting nxt to each other 3 feet away) and that means some major air moving to spool both of them and youll need an intercooler maybe 2

91ford7.3td1in

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I building this motor to go in a single cab long bed theres not going to be anything on the motor except what is needed like an alternator bored 30 over with an intercooler and methanol injection should keep egts down with the twin turbos sitting on custom manifolds that run one off of each side to one turbo going through hood stack with a moose pump and BIGG injectors. i think i can easily make it go 150mph il just have to mess with it and see what happens i dont think it will cost to much maybe a good 4,000 cause i have everything to do it with.:sly

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I building this motor to go in a single cab long bed theres not going to be anything on the motor except what is needed like an alternator bored 30 over with an intercooler and methanol injection should keep egts down with the twin turbos sitting on custom manifolds that run one off of each side to one turbo going through hood stack with a moose pump and BIGG injectors. i think i can easily make it go 150mph il just have to mess with it and see what happens i dont think it will cost to much maybe a good 4,000 cause i have everything to do it with.:sly

Good luck with that. Not saying it cant be done.........BUT. its not going to happen

91ford7.3td1in

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck with that. Not saying it cant be done.........BUT. its not going to happen

You see im a farm boy and we make everything we need im a mechanic and can weld so when i build this for around 4,000 and your reading about my idi race truck competing with the cummins and strokers well see who says it cant be done then.

Brutis

Work in Progress
Reaction score
You see im a farm boy and we make everything we need im a mechanic and can weld so when i build this for around 4,000 and your reading about my idi race truck competing with the cummins and strokers well see who says it cant be done then.

All I can say is go get it done and we will all give you a round of applause :D

I really hope you pull it off. I know a lot of guys who would like to do something similar, but have not done it yet for one reason or another. Can it be done :dunno I hope so!

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score

dont get me wrong but did you read the article in diesel power about the worlds fastest gm 6.5td its topped out at 500 hp and is rebuilt every 1500 miles and im sure tens of thousands of dollars spent annualy just to keep it going .

i say a ford idi can do it to but i think the bigger issue is money than anything id say getting over 400 hp out of an idi means everything custom built

91ford7.3td1in

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not really if you look at it propane adds 100 horse methanol adds 70 hp and the few other things will help but i want to be the one who has it and everybody says i want to do something like him build something that hasnt been built before