7.3 idi race truck

dansvan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Propane adds 100 horse to an IDI? Hmm. I thought a 100 extra horses would kick more than that.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
You see im a farm boy and we make everything we need im a mechanic and can weld so when i build this for around 4,000 and your reading about my idi race truck competing with the cummins and strokers well see who says it cant be done then.

I-ll believe it when i see it. Not only dont i think it cant be done for 4000. I just dont think it can be done period! Powerstrokes have a hard enough time reaching those power numbers and times so there is NO WAY an IDI will. But good luck spending your money

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
4wd is for launches on the drag strip, just remember that your going to be stuck with 4.10, they don't make 3.55 for Dana axels, at least not that I've found.

Maybe if you have a power plant where traction during launches becomes a problem. I don't foresee that issue with an IDI.

Also, if you do stick with 4.10s...you will probably run out of RPM before you get to the end of the track. My truck even with a ZF5 is right at 2000rpm running just shy of 60mph.

I'm afraid I will have to side with others on this forum that have already chimed in. Love these trucks, but for all the custom parts it would require, you could have put some off the shelf parts into a powerstroke. Not trying to rain on your parade, you can make anything fast, but how much do you want to spend?

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not really if you look at it propane adds 100 horse methanol adds 70 hp and the few other things will help but i want to be the one who has it and everybody says i want to do something like him build something that hasnt been built before

Sure those two add that much power to a computerized Direct Injection comain-railed Diesel like the newer strokes and cummins, only because they can handle it. They dont have the compression like an IDI and can handle more inside the combustion stroke. If you tried to inject enough propane to make 100 horses you would either throw a rod or it would hydrolock, same with the ****. There are numbers on here from people who run propane on an IDI, maybe 30 horses. And you can keep giving it more fuel but all you will end up doing is putting out the fire, there just isnt enough room with a 21.5 ratio.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
dont get me wrong but did you read the article in diesel power about the worlds fastest gm 6.5td its topped out at 500 hp and is rebuilt every 1500 miles and im sure tens of thousands of dollars spent annualy just to keep it going .

i say a ford idi can do it to but i think the bigger issue is money than anything id say getting over 400 hp out of an idi means everything custom built

yes they tear it down every 1000 miles, but the question is do they really have too? who knows? i think in that article they also talk about using some really light weight oil, maybe the engine could last longer maybe not, but no one will know for sure until someone invest in it and finds out

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Maybe if you have a power plant where traction during launches becomes a problem. I don't foresee that issue with an IDI.

Also, if you do stick with 4.10s...you will probably run out of RPM before you get to the end of the track. My truck even with a ZF5 is right at 2000rpm running just shy of 60mph.

I'm afraid I will have to side with others on this forum that have already chimed in. Love these trucks, but for all the custom parts it would require, you could have put some off the shelf parts into a powerstroke. Not trying to rain on your parade, you can make anything fast, but how much do you want to spend?

depends how brave you are, my truck runs 55=2000 rpm which puts me at about 90 at factory revlimit, but with the way i have my pump set 3500(factory) is no were close to how fast i could go:sly

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oops hunny i need a new motor my precup came out cause the boost was too high
(hope youre not married with these ideas)
but hey if you can do it wen you get bored with that truck ill take it
youll need a lot of custom work the major issue is the precup to make large hp cause a precup changes flows completely and it costs a ton to remove it

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think you could actually run these engines without a precup, but you can grind them open to get something closer to a DI setup.

biggin92

Yeeeee Haaawwww
Reaction score
dude what a kick a** build throw us some pics on the progress its about time someone built one!!!

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
oops hunny i need a new motor my precup came out cause the boost was too high
(hope youre not married with these ideas)
but hey if you can do it wen you get bored with that truck ill take it
youll need a lot of custom work the major issue is the precup to make large hp cause a precup changes flows completely and it costs a ton to remove it

i dont see the pre cup falling out because of too much boost, they rest against the block

Last edited:

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
shhh dont tell
plus now youre involved so this motor will need to hit 6800 rpm

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You see im a farm boy and we make everything we need im a mechanic and can weld so when i build this for around 4,000 and your reading about my idi race truck competing with the cummins and strokers well see who says it cant be done then.

:popcorn;Poke

Just checking on any updates.............I guess there are none..........oh well.:D

Heath