7.3 idi non-turbo decisions decisions decisions...

jrocket

Reaction score
Thank you in advance for any advice offered, I appreciate it. It's a new to me 92' 7.3 non-turbo with 275K and a horribly dirty air filter when I got her home. The confusing part is that when I told the PO I was diesel ignorant, he lectured me on SCA level and cavitation. He said that if I were smart I would stop and get a spare fuel filter before driving the 600 miles home. He also mentioned to watch for leaky injector caps and how to replace O-rings if needed. I have some questions now that it's home safely and I'm catching up the maintenance. I've read more about 7.3 idi's in the last six weeks then I ever thought I would. I'm not sure search helps with my current questions, but apologize in advance if I've missed obvious answers.

If I'm going to drain coolant and oil to replace leaky oil cooler seals, what else should I do? I'm thinking block heater, water pump and thermostat at least. The radiator doesn't appear to be leaking anywhere I can tell, but does have a very small amount of coolant under the overflow tube. Anything else I should absolutely do while the coolant is out?

Since it's also empty of oil, I should...?

Since the PO mentioned fuel filter, caps and O-rings, what would you do? I've ordered the return line kit, have the fuel filter and should do the lift pump if I were smart. I'd like to avoid messing with the injection pump unless I have to. I'm sure I can remove, clean/paint and replace hard lines. What else am I missing?

It needs a bed, which I found cheap. While the bed is off, again if I were smart, I would at least...? I'm thinking replace any rubber fuel line I can reach and fuel pickup tube hose replacement. (The PO also mentioned filling up at 1/4 tank) At the time I didn't think much of it, but my research now tells me he knew the pickup tubes need attention. I should also inspect and address anything and everything electrical under the bed. Am I missing anything else?

It also needs fenders and a better grill, which the bed guy had. If I'm doing oil cooler seals, I should pull the fenders and grill to make my life easier... Anything else I'm missing?

I'll listen to all suggestions. Again, thank you in advance for reading this far, your wisdom and any advice you choose to offer.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You shouldn't need to remove anything else to do the oil cooler.
Just maybe engine mounts and raise the engine a slight amount. (Which may not be needed anyways)
Where'd you order the return line kit from?

I'm sure you've read about the injectors been grey, they are due for a replacement.

Maybe trans and gear oils.
Other then that, I believe you have most of it covered. Obviously you've done your homework.
And welcome to the site.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Welcome! Looks like you've got a good start with your info searching. All things mentioned are good ideas. Just remember to take your time and pay close attention to details, and don't get burnt out! I love modification but hate repairs so sometimes it's not difficult to lose motivation.

Oh, and put that info about your truck in your signature. It'll help folks help you in future threads :Thumbs Up

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
Don't get a regular block heater. Get one of those inline ones that go into the T into the heater core line that circulate the coolant. And set it on a timer when you need to use it for about an hour before you need to drive.

No need to do the lift pump if yours is working. If its not its pretty common to convert to electric. And having the IP tuned and turned up is a pretty good idea.

If you need so many parts for the front end, you could look at doing a swap to a newer style (97 or so PSD) so you can run headlights made for running HID's.