7.3 IDI No Crank / Click / Changed Starter / Bypassed Starter Relay / Tried starting

lmarcucci7

Reaction score
Hi everyone, Having trouble with my 92 F350 IDI 7.3

The problem is that when I try to start it, I hear a loud click(A solenoid click)

Anyway, Here's what I tried. I can't figure it out.

-Changed the starter/starter solenoid(No change, except a slow crank(Could have been from weak
batteries) the very first time I tried after letting the truck sit for 6 months prior to starter change)

-Bypassed Starter Relay on passenger fender. Still hear the same click

-Tried starting the truck in neutral to test gear position sensor. Same click.

-Tested the old starter outside of the car by hooking the ground from another battery to the starter body, then positive to the starter positive. Spun fine.

The starter I got was from a junkyard, but it had been tested before.

Thanks for any ideas/suggestions to check!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
batteries and cables.
CABLES PLAY A HUGE ROLE.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check for voltage drop where the positive cable connects to the starter....if it doesn't show battery voltage then you have a cable issue.

lmarcucci7

Reaction score
check for voltage drop where the positive cable connects to the starter....if it doesn't show battery voltage then you have a cable issue.

Yeah, so I checked the voltage drop at the battery terminals. Resting was 12.6V. Then when I hit the key to start, the voltage only dropped to 12.3V. Shouldn't it drop way more?

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, so I checked the voltage drop at the battery terminals. Resting was 12.6V. Then when I hit the key to start, the voltage only dropped to 12.3V. Shouldn't it drop way more?

Check the voltage at the starter itself and compare to the voltage at the battery terminal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online