7.3 IDI no crank and stuck

Misfittoy

Reaction score
Stuck at the house I need to move from in a couple days. Need some help.

Its a 93 E350 non turbo IDI.

Was running fine till I left the key on and killed the battery :idiot:
Tried to use my jump box to start it, It cranked a few times then refused to crank at all.
It ran perfectly fine and started down to 15* with zero issues prior too.

So here's what I've done. Tested GP and replaced the bad ones, Replaced the glow plug relay, starter relay and starter. (starters wire from solenoid to motor was toasted)

I seem to be getting no power to the starter relay.

my GP relay is clicking for a good 10-15 seconds and not latching. WTS light is holding on for about 5 seconds.

When I try to crank I get a click and the power to my odo and radio cut out for a second. I've charged both my batteries and their holding a solid 12.6v

am I missing a fuse somewhere? Is their a way to bypass each system to figure out how far up my problem lays? ****, even just to get it started so I can move it off the lot would be awesome.

Thank you guys for the help

gandalf

Reaction score
Stuck at the house I need to move from in a couple days. Need some help.

Its a 93 E350 non turbo IDI.

Was running fine till I left the key on and killed the battery :idiot:
Tried to use my jump box to start it, It cranked a few times then refused to crank at all.

That jump box probably doesn't have enough power to turn the engine over fast enough and long enough to start the engine. The engine has high compression and has to turn at a certain speed to start. Whenever you crank the engine you're fighting that high compression. You'll probable need more than that jump box.

If the batteries were completely dead you may need to charge them for a while before cranking. When I did the same thing, killed my batteries completely, the AAA guy had to sit the for 20-30 minutes, hooked up and charging, before the engine would crank fast enough to start. So, try that. Sit there charging from another truck for half an hour, and then try cranking.

Report back

Misfittoy

Reaction score
did it. First night after jump box failed took each battery out and placed them on the charger till fully charged... still nothing

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
did you try to jump the starter solenoid from under the hood?

MAKE SURE ITS IN PARK OT NEUTRAL!

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
I'm betting one of the batteries is toast and is pulling the other down. Try again with one battery connected at a time

Misfittoy

Reaction score
Tried to do it with one and two batteries. Nothing. I would try to jump it but I was not getting power to the relay on the fender (on the vans its in front of the main battery) Is their a way to apply power directly to the starter to at least get it fired up and out of the driveway?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yeah, by jumping the solenoid.
Seems to me like you obviously have a connection problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it was running fine before killing the batteries, I'd be investing in new batteries and go from there.

Misfittoy

Reaction score
Alright got her started up! shes back to her old self.. But for anyone having some same issues.

pulled both batteries and put them on the charger, checked immediately off the charger, Both fully charged held around 12.7v checked again 5 hours off charger sitting on the floor 12.7v.

Installed one battery to check starter relay. Lead into relay was reading 12.7v used a jumper from pos batt terminal to small silver post on relay. Got a click but no power to starter. Jump between posts with screwdriver got the starter spinning.

New relay number two. started right up..

So I had a few issues.
Jumper box smoked the fused link from starter solenoid to starter motor.
Battery connections where not getting me power to starter relay.
new Starter relay 1 post had spun coming disconnected inside the relay housing and not making connection with relay. (Unsure if original relay was even bad at all). new starter relay two checked out.

Also I think before I install **** Napa relays maybe running power to lead post then jumping the silver post to see if I get a latch would be worthwhile? seeing how you cant return installed electrical parts.

Total parts replaced 1 starter, 2 starter relay, 1 glow plug relay, 6 glow plugs, and a Partridge in a pear tree.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online