7.3 idi lost oil pressure

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should never need to change the oil pump in one of these engines. That combined with the fact that there have been several member who have had aftermarket oil pumps fail is why I would stick with the factory pump.

im going to be building a spare engine. which is why i ask

Black dawg

Reaction score
There's the filter bypass valve, which is visible with the filter removed.
But the other isn't visible without taking off the cooler.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

You actually can see the regulator valve, and get a pick into it to see if it is free or not. Just not nearly as easy as the filter bypass valve.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The oil filter bypass valve is that wafer you see when you remove the oil filter and look up to the mounting base. Some here like to presss up on it just to see its still working. A member lost oil pressure once only to find this wafer and spring behind it was missing. I have no idea where it could go but thats what was posted. Now the oil pressure regulating valve is deeper in the filter housing. It can be seen but not all of it. A dental pick can move it against the spring. If you look up into the rear oil cooler housing header there is what looks like a cylinder layed on it side up in a passageway. Thats the regulator. Not the round looking wafer that resembles a beer can looking from the bottom. Either or both of these "could" be the problem.

91flatbed

Reaction score
I still have the factory oil pump. I think all those parts were boxed up after the rebuild. Don't mean to ask dumb questions, but you don't know if you don't ask. Is there a way to check a oil pump to see if it's good?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
for future reference, when installing a new pump, would you use a slight coat of RTV on the oil pump to block?

NO. nothing goes there.

To the OP, if the oil filter header was washed in a water washer the regulator valve is likely sticking due to rust. The oil filter bypass valve can be clear gone and you will still have pressure , it just bypasses cold oil around the filter or past a plugged filter, back into the main galley.
A plug could have come out of the galley in front and will lose all pressure.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still have the factory oil pump. I think all those parts were boxed up after the rebuild. Don't mean to ask dumb questions, but you don't know if you don't ask. Is there a way to check a oil pump to see if it's good?

the only dumb question is the one left unasked.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pull the cover and look for big scratches, end float on the drive gear, with cover on should be minimal, there is a spec but not near shop today.

91flatbed

Reaction score
I removed the oil filter, and found that the pressure regulator was stuck. I took a pick and kept working with it till it was freed up. I took the mechanical pressure gauge line loose from the top of the engine, and moved it to one of the oil plugs in the block near the oil filter. Started the truck, and Oil pressure started showing on the gauge. At cold start, truck is idling at 47 pounds pressure. Thanks again for everyone's help.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sweet. oil burners to the rescue.
another rig back on the road!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online