7.3 IDI Glowplug srewed up after removal

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
spray some pb blaster or the like in the hole to loosen anything up. let is sit for a little, then unhook the FSS wire and place a towel over that hole. now crank the engine over with the hole open. anything in there WILL come out....

derjackistweg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
spray some pb blaster or the like in the hole to loosen anything up. let is sit for a little, then unhook the FSS wire and place a towel over that hole. now crank the engine over with the hole open. anything in there WILL come out....

I already thought about cranking the engine for one/two/three turns...

The idea that everything that is loose inside the GP hole will come out (for sure ;Sweet) is nice. But enlight me what "FSS" wire is and "pb blaster"? I know pb from chemistry in school which means plumb.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If the old glow plug was not working for a long time carbon will build up on it. then as you try to remove it the carbon gets stuck in the hole plugging it up. This is the only reason you can install the new plug. something is blocking the hole. Carbon.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about starting it up for a few seconds? That oughta blow anything in the hole out.

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score

The idea that everything that is loose inside the GP hole will come out (for sure ;Sweet) is nice. But enlight me what "FSS" wire is and "pb blaster"? I know pb from chemistry in school which means plumb.

pb blaster is penetrating oil, you must have something like it over there

http://www.pbblaster.com/

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score

PB Blaster is a brand of snake oil, like WD-40, K-50, etc. Use whatever tickles your fancy.

FSS= Fuel Shut-off Switch. If you pull the wire the truck won't start on you whilst turning it over. Although firing it up for a couple seconds may not be a bad idea.

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score

FSS is the Fuel (Diesel) solenoid that turns on and off your engine its a wire near the top of your injection pump, there are two or three wires there, I forgot which one it is.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ But if a glow plug doesnt screw in how would a tap?.......Btw i'm not trying to be an **** I'm just asking

Also wondering, if theres no glow plug in that whole how would the engine make enough compression to start?

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't tap, threads aren't the problem. also the tapered surface at the bottom of the threads is what seals it. if that is damaged..... no good

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The wire terminal on the laft is the FSS (Fuel Control Solenoid.) disconnecting that wire will prevent the engine from starting when you crank it over to blow out the carbon. Just make sure no one has there face near that hole, could possible KILL them.

It's 9PM here now. I have a Van engine on a stand out in the garage, I'll take a couple of pictures, and add on this post.

Edit; Thats the #1 GP, took the GP out and could probe in it down 2" inches. If you look close you can see the tapered seat in the bottom, DO NOT RUN A TAP DOWN IN THERE, it might ruin the seat.

Attachments

• DVC01376[1].JPG
    DVC01376[1].JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 27
  • DVC01845.JPG
    DVC01845.JPG
    291.2 KB · Views: 21
  • DVC01847.JPG
    DVC01847.JPG
    294.3 KB · Views: 23
  • DVC01848.JPG
    DVC01848.JPG
    297.2 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, in a runaway situation a guy could just pull that connector and the engine would eventually die?.....no thread jack intended OP

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, in a runaway situation a guy could just pull that connector and the engine would eventually die?.....no thread jack intended OP

Yes you can, as long as it's not getting fuel from some other source. If the IP is running fast, it maybe able to pump fuel, so it's not a given that the engine will stop.

Last edited: