7.3 idi cracked head?

jonleroy2506

Reaction score
Hey all,

Got a question for y'all. First some back story. 1991 f250 7.3 idi overheated just over a month ago. I thought I had just ran it out of coolant, so I filled the radiator back up with water after work so I could get home. Drove it for almost a month with no issues, then it overheated again. Filled it with water once again and drove it to my grandpa's shop to put a new radiator in, as the old one had sprung a leak at the top by the upper radiator hose. I wasn't surprised that it broke there, as it had been repaired with jb weld about 2 years ago. With a new radiator in it it still ran hot, so I put a new thermostat in it. Unfortunately I later read that only a motorcraft thermostat should be used, and I didn't use one. The thermostat seems to be functioning poorly, but the truck primarily operates in the 'normal' temperature range. However, I am having to add about a gallon and a half of water every day to keep the radiator full. There are no visible leaks. The engine feels sluggish, and there is an odd greyish - brown sludge building up on the radiator cap. Can anyone confirm that this is likely a cracked head? I think that I am losing coolant into the exhaust in the form of steam which I think would explain the lack of visible leakage. If this does sound like a cracked head, what would it entail to replace it? I have a parts truck with good heads and I would like to do the work myself, so any guidance would be appreciated

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say a head gasket failure would be more likely. The way to test this is to get a compression test on all cylinders and get a combustion gas coolant test strip kit to see if you are getting combustion gasses into the coolant

Brody

Reaction score
A gallon and a half is a LOT of coolant to be losing on the daily. If it were mine I would stop running it and get into tearing the heads off. With that much coolant "disappearing" you could hydrolock it, wipe out a cylinder and who knows what else. Also it could be pinholes in the cylinder but either way it's time to take it off the road

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online