7.3 IDI '92 E350

FlyingZebra34

Reaction score
Have been reading the forum for awhile but finally hit a big enough rock to sign up and call for some advice.

295k miles on the odometer. New injectors, glow plugs, lift pump, water pump, new radiator, ps pump new. Etc. Only owned this truck for a few thousand miles but previous owner had records going back to '93.

Going down the road and suddenly getting a ticking noise, left side of engine. Louder and louder. Without rising the temp guage the freeze plug next to the oil filter blew out and it feels like she stalled on me going 50mph.

Engine still turns over.

Any thoughts? I'm about 1000 miles from my tool box getting a tow to Ford.

Thanks.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
The block heater one? It's tucked up by the starter.

FlyingZebra34

Reaction score
Not the engine heater. This is right behind the oil filter on the driver's side. Close to the oil cooler. About a 1-2" cirlce on the block. Closer to the rear of the motor.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to read about your isues. The freeze plugs are a special material and fit. DO NOT use anything but the original stainless steel factory plug. they are NOT a cut type plug either. They are convex. they fit into the block and rest on a lip. Then a special tool is used to expand the center. You can't expand them to much either. Somebody that knows how they fit needs to do the work. Cleaning out the block area is important too. Then some sealant MUST be applied to the freeze plug or is will seap. If it was the farthest back on the drivers side you will not have to remove the oil cooler for repairs to install the missing plug. Also when you suddenly lose all the coolant you will not see the temp gauge climb because there is no coolant touching it telling it "things are hot"...

FlyingZebra34

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. Figured it out once I got to my tools at the shop.

Valve spring failed on the exhaust side on #2 . Made a jig to plug the freeze plug. Got the motor pressurized and it looks like the head gasket blew out. My best guess is the freeze plug was the weakest link at this point and couldn't hold up to the pressure.

Gonna strip what I can and buy another motor.

Thanks again

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you post a picture of how the valve spring failed? I have not seen one of these springs fail on these engines in person, and I’d like to see where they break.

Chemgrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn sorry to hear about your bad luck. Where are you at? I've got an NA engine that needs a pump but otherwise should be just fine. If you're close to NC we can get it running and I'll help you put it in. At this point I just want the damn thing out of my garage.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. Figured it out once I got to my tools at the shop.

Valve spring failed on the exhaust side on #2 . Made a jig to plug the freeze plug. Got the motor pressurized and it looks like the head gasket blew out. My best guess is the freeze plug was the weakest link at this point and couldn't hold up to the pressure.

Gonna strip what I can and buy another motor.

Thanks again

Why not pull the heads and get new heads and a HG? If you tilt the engine on the mount, you can do that in a van without pulling the engine.

http://www.nickpisca.com/diesel/eng...i-head-gasket-job-without-pulling-the-engine/

You must be registered for see images attach

I got my new heads from Diesel Cast Welding (I'm pretty sure that's the name), and they come fully dressed. My local machine shop said they couldn't match that price if they rebuilt my existing heads.

Aside from the front of the engine, the van engine is surprisingly accessible from the rear and underside if you are creative with the mounts and shop crane.

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Chemgrad where in NC are you located? I am in the northeast corner by Elizabeth City. To the OP I did it in a truck and the way genscripter is describing the van it look s doable.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
no-can-do.
freeze plug heater only goes into one specially machined corner of the block, the rest are machined where they require the "special" freeze plugs.
What's funny is when your shop builds these engines, sends them out to an International dealer, and then they call back to complain that you forgot a freeze plug.:idiot:

Chemgrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pastorjeep I'm just south of Raleigh. Did the life insurance sales gig for a while and spent some time over in your neighborhood. Spent most of my time south of there though around Jamesville and Plymouth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online