7.3 died while driving down the road....

wgargan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hello, been a lurker here, i always post on thedieselstop.com thought i would try you all out :)

heres is the situation, I was driving down the road and the fuel supply cut off. It did not stumble like there was air in the lines.
however,My immediate thought was air in the lines.
I was going about 50mph so I immediately switched tanks. ( i have run out of fuel before) Usually coasting at higher rpms will bring enough fuel to get the truck going again especially with the electric LP. Not this time.

when I pulled over i went through the routine to start it as if it were out of fuel. What I did:

turned on the electric LP and primed the lines right up to the IP ( fuel was already present and no sign of air in the lines)

cracked the first injector line on the driver side. cranked for about 30 sec with the accel pedal fully depressed. not a drop of fuel came out.

cracked the next two injectors, again not a drop of fuel came out.

so I figured the IP is toast, or there is a cut off switch of some sort that I do not know about, that is now broken.

any help?? i am outta work today and do not really want to be out of work any longer!!

i have posted this on oher forums, so far we have ruled out the fuel shut off solenoid....

thanks alot for any input, it always appreciated..

oregon-mike

Reaction score
wg,
I can't help you out anymore here than I could by sending you off on a wild goose chase on the fss over at TDS :)

Do you have fuel coming out of the schrader valve when priming with the electric pump (if you hold the valve in)? You said that "fuel was already present and no sign of air in the lines". Do you have some clear hose somewhere in the system?

If the fss is working, it seems to me like there's got to be a blockage somewhere, or the electric pump went out.

I'll be keeping an eye on both sites to see what the final diagnosis is.

Mike

Last edited:

wgargan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the electic pump will bring fuel up to the IP. When I open the feed line at the IP fuel pumps out with no sign of air in the lines......

thanks for the help, i am going to go and try some more..

oregon-mike

Reaction score
OK, you loosened the gazzin to the ip to see the fuel coming in...makes more sense now. So, fuel to the gazzin of the ip, crank it over with injector lines loose and zero fuel coming out of any of the injectors correct? I'm just trying to make sure I have all the info before I post any more suggestions....

Mike

wgargan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
corecto mundo! i just went out and tried it again, same result. fuel supply to the Ip is sufficient , none coming out of injector lines..

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You say you verified that the fuel shut off solenoid was working. By what method? You can usually crack the IP return line on the top of the pump to look for fuel there if you have an electric fuel pump. That's also an excellent way to bleed air off. Make sure the cold idle advance is disconnected though. In all likelyhood it IS an IP issue of some kind. Welcome to OB. This is where most of the cream floated to when the milk got to hot at TDS.

wgargan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You say you verified that the fuel shut off solenoid was working. By what method?
By sound, it clicked when i removed the wiring connector and it clicked with a 12v jumper. is there a way to ensure it works besides a sound?

You can usually crack the IP return line on the top of the pump to look for fuel there if you have an electric fuel pump. That's also an excellent way to bleed air off.
I am going to do this today to see what happens...

Make sure the cold idle advance is disconnected though.

I have not disconnected it at all, why does this help?

In all likelyhood it IS an IP issue of some kind. Welcome to OB. This is where most of the cream floated to when the milk got to hot at TDS.

thanks for the help, I am thinking of just buying a new IP so i can get back on the road, I just want to be sure a new IP would fix the problem....

wgargan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
found a puzzling clue...

the IP had rotated about two penny widths toward the driver side.. I could tell by the marking i had put on there when I advanced timing when I put in new injectors. It moved passed, way passed, were it was before I moved it. I could not move the pump, the nuts ( bolts?) that tighten it were very tight, I had to loosen them in order to put the pump back to my original markings... this doesn't sound good, still no start.

just a reminder, it died while cruising at 50mph and accelerating, with NO stumble.
some one said the shaft that drives the pump could have been broken...???
thanks for all this help, I really need it

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. If the pump shifted position, it sounds like that is probably exactly what happened. If something locked up in the pump, then the drive gear may have been able to turn the pump body until something stopped that from turning, and then the shaft snapped. Based on your evidence, I would say this is exactly what happened.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of these places are going to be good. If they are an ebay store pay careful attention to feedback ratings. If you have a decent diesel injection shop close by, you might consider going with them instead, sice in case you have a problem you will be dealing with local people. It should help with communication and downtime in the event of any problems. To maximize the bang for your buck, have all your injectors tested at the same time. If you have 3 or more bad ones replace the whole set, if they are good, I say why mess with success? Also a local shop MAY be able to dynamically time the inj. pump for you. On the other hand if you have no good diesel shops that work with these pumps or you don't like working with who you have, or they are overpriced, by all means buy from an online dealer. As I say many of them are very good. Remember a rotary pump rebuilt is exactly as good as the rebuilder and even a good rebuilder will screw up a few...the test is do they stand behind their work and is most of theri work ok.

oregon-mike

Reaction score
That's good to hear about o-f-i there 94johnh.... They're in my town so I'd probably use them for when my ip heads south. It'd be nice to not have to ship things and know that if there are any problems that they're here to fix them :)

Mike