7.3 1988 van upgrades?

teletech

Reaction score
I'm about to pick up a surplus 1988 E-350 ambulance (110K) as a toy and I was just wondering what my options are for upgrades.
The very thick aluminum cube really weighs on these so a little more acceleration would be handy but I'm mostly interested in improving on the 10MPG.
Truck parts are everywhere but van parts are quite scarce it seems...

I found an oversize exhaust just fine.
I have a Gearvendors OD I can put on the C-6
I have an ATS non wastegate turbo I could use but I'd really REALLY like a turbo with an intercooler and I'm willing to re-contour the center hump if that makes it fit. I also notice the Banks Sidewinder is available for trucks, is it worth trying to cram one of these in a van vs. the ATS kit?
A lot of truck guys go to a 5-speed manual but I'm doubtful that will work for a van so I could go E4OD but it's a lot of work to replace a good-working and indestructible C-6. Any other options I'm overlooking?
What else can I do?

Of course, too much work and a b4t swap starts to look good.

thanks for your input.

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You CAN swap a five speed into a van. I am not sure where you get the clutch pedal. A very few vans came from the factory with a ZF.

A wastegated turbo DOES make power down lower, but the ATS 088 makes its boost surprisingly low. These trucks already have so much low-end torque that you can about light 'em up taking off, making boost sooner is just excessive. You don't need it until you get rolling, unless you're towing something you probably shouldn't be towing behind an F-Series.