6-speed manual trannie

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
local 3 mechs make $35/hr with full bennies in the sfbay area. and no freezing temps:thumbsup:
Yea, but you gotta make that just to keep a roof over your head there :eek: $40 an hour in the great white north is a nice chunk of change ;Sweet

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I thought you're already somewhere cold Justin. Its all relative for sure.

Not really man. Sure we get snow every year, and when we do its a lot, but it melts within a week or two. Coldest I've seen here was 16* and that was last winter. Heck, I might just move over the Cascades to Eastern Oregon :D That wont happen for a while though.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I worked in Klamath Falls in January-March of 1993. We started work at 6 am and it was regularly below 0*F . So you're on the right track Justin. Go east for a few hours and you'll find the cold you're looking for.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, but you gotta make that just to keep a roof over your head there :eek: $40 an hour in the great white north is a nice chunk of change ;Sweet
that is true. it's expensive to live in the sfbayarea. but I doubt the cost of living in the camps is any cheaper when you're working up there too.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
ok what is another name for a 3-speed brownie box or is there a link i could use to learn more

USe the search feature and find the previous discussions on the matter, I have links posted to all the info that you'll find on the net on the things. I have some more in depth info on the things I could email you. I also have factory service manuals for just about all of the spicer aux boxes( and most of their main boxes and ptos of that era )

Most of the ones suitable for use in a pickup were made by Spicer...about 30 years ago, there were also unis made by Clark and, Fuller ( later basically the same as spicer ) and a few others, but the common units are the spicer boxes.
I bet if you asked around some of the old hands around that neck of the woods, they could tell you where there are a bunch of the things oxidizing away. the tougher the access of the terrain, the more common the auxilliary trannys were.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Justin, no ya dont. It gets -25 to -35* F here a couple times during the winter here. Last winter we had nearly 2 weeks of -25 and colder temps, without the wind chill. My dad brother and I pulled the tranny out of my moms truck in 6" of snow during those two weeks, yes outside. You can come here and hang with me during the winter if ya want a taste of cold weather, and my cold weather isnt even close to what these hard core canada guys are talking about.

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
i would agree i know up here in fort nelson it is common for me to be working in -25c and i have seen and worked in -50c here both numbers without windchill. In 2005 when i did the ice roads from Yellowknife to the diamond mines i saw -70c without windchill. I have seen winter diesel adjusted to -30c gel like vaseline i have also seen plate steel shatter like a pane of glass after being hit with a hammer from the cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle