6.9 turbo in a 2003 f250?

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I recently picked up an 03 f250 ccsb 4x4 auto with a bad 5.4 triton. I am thinking about putting a turbo 6.9 backed by a zf5 in it. We don't have emissions laws here so I am good there, just wonder what some opinions would be. I realize there would be some fab work, but That is no problem. Thanks. -Brad-

Attachments

• 20150203_162342.jpg
    20150203_162342.jpg
    1,004.7 KB · Views: 89

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a cool idea, but for the amount it would likely cost (and work it would take), I don't think it'd be worth it. I'd rather try swapping a powerstroke in, if it had to be diesel. Or a cummins.

That gas 5.4 is a good motor, and it's readily available. For less time and money bet You could have a pretty solid 5.4. Or even the V10. Both pull well, although 5.4 doesn't hurry.

Now if you have a 6.9 sitting around, and time/ money aren't a concern, it's a heck of a body style imo, so with the idi you could make it a simple, easy to work on truck that would last a very long time.

All just my opinion, since you asked. Sweet grab in any case love that body style (with the older grills like that; less flashy than the new ones).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's an interesting proposition. Obviously, you wouldn't need all the electronic stuff that the original 5.4 needed to run a 6.9. The cost does seem to be a limiting factor, but if you have the time and $, I will watch your progress.

sven502

Reaction score
Anybody ever seen anything about swapping in a 7.3 IDI in place of a blown 6.0? Thinking about looking into something of this sort of nature, keep us posted how it goes.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think it would be tough. Physically it would all fit fine. May need to find diesel mounts and stuff but there is room. Biggest issue to me is the wiring. What's run through the no longer needed computer? And does it care?

Very cool project if you proceed.

Sir AxleRod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you'd lose your speedo, the VSS feeds off the t-case.

I'd find a Duramax/8.1 ZF-6, they have a divorceable bell housing, (GM also has a driver drop t-case, and a similar model number for the t-case) and then run the NP435/t-19 Bell, attached to it, the ZF is ***. everything should be pre-tapped for the Manuel Tranny swap.

I love my Trito 5.4/ZF-6 Expediton, as much or more than I love my IDI.

mpg is/was a fuzz higher in the IDI Centurion, than it is/was int he ZF Expy, but.... I enjoyed both rigs, and the Triton rig was waaaaaay quicker than the IDI rig.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
-edited due to the fact that i saw a dodge and jumped off a cliff.......

Last edited:

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you'd lose your speedo, the VSS feeds off the t-case.

I'd find a Duramax/8.1 ZF-6, they have a divorceable bell housing, (GM also has a driver drop t-case, and a similar model number for the t-case) and then run the NP435/t-19 Bell, attached to it, the ZF is ***. everything should be pre-tapped for the Manuel Tranny swap.

I love my Trito 5.4/ZF-6 Expediton, as much or more than I love my IDI.

mpg is/was a fuzz higher in the IDI Centurion, than it is/was int he ZF Expy, but.... I enjoyed both rigs, and the Triton rig was waaaaaay quicker than the IDI rig.

Yeah the 5.4 is really a good truck motor. Just actually use a torque wrench doing spark plugs (and anti seize) with the Motorcraft plugs and you're good.

Off topic real quick (sorry), sir axlerod, you put a zf-6 in an expedition?!? Need to see that! Got a thread somewhere on it?? Love that idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir AxleRod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did, and I do, I'll pull them up and come back here with an edit.

As far as I know, I'm one of three Manuel Trannie Expy's. the ZF-5 Douchenozzle (HAVE TO HAVE a body lift, blah blah blah..... FML) and then a cat who copied me in a 2nd gen.

More of a plug and play swap, that stuffing the NP435 in my Brick-nose Centurion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance