6.9 troubles

smokin69

Always smokin'
Reaction score
I was away at school for a year away from my truck and didn't have a chance to do anything to get it ready for the sit because I was forced to leave in the middle of the night. Well anyways, I cannot get it started now, and I don't smell and diesel fuel smell from the exhaust even after cranking it full throttle for a while. I looked in the fuel filter and it has fuel in there so I'm thinking that there is something wrong with the IP. My best friend tried to drive it while I was gone to keep it working, but it had sat for 8 months already and he said when he finally got it started, it didn't get much higher than idle and didn't have any power to move.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Crack one of your injector lines open at the injector and crank it over a few times to see if your getting fuel to them. You say you have fuel in the filter but did you have fuel coming out of the schrader valve? No power sounds like it was starving for fuel. Could be a plugged up filter. Make sure your fuel shutoff solenoid is getting power as well.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Verify you have fuel presure at the schrader valve while cranking. If that checks out, then disconnect the fuel return from the IP, and verify you have fuel coming out there while cranking. I'd disconnect power to your glow plug relay until you have verified you have fuel going to the cylinders.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree. You're definitely not getting any fuel. Could the injectors just need bled because it sat so long? I dunno. Just trying to come up with something.

smokin69

Always smokin'
Reaction score
Well I just got in from working on it, pulled the fuel filter off again to c if there was anything in there that would clog it and heated it up with a torch to make sure there was not any wax or anything in there to impead flow and filled it with a mix of off road and power service(white bottle). I tried to turn it over but the batteries died on me so now its charging and ill have to try later. Im thinking I might have to put a blow dryer down the intake to heat it up as my gp's are questionable and I would rather not try to use them and burn em up and have a tip fall into the engine.

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
Hair dryer worked for me, but not without a lot of cranking. If you have one of those heat guns used to activate the heat shrink stuff, if might work better...

smokin69

Always smokin'
Reaction score
Im leaving it plugged in all night and in the morining im breaking out the propane torch down the intake and to heat everything up. I also have one of them Katz magnetic oil pan heaters on it.