6.9 starting issues have me stumped.

dirtbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that there is LOTS written about hard starting issues with IDIs, but this has us a bit puzzled. We are dealing with a late 86 that we never heard run in it's original vehicle, as it was a swap into a 1979 that we are completing. We have checked or done the following:

1)-All Glow Plugs all replaced with Motorcraft. Controller cycles for seven or eight seconds, then afterglows. If I take a GP out and ground the body and turn the ignition on, they get hot, but do not quite "GLOW". Should they actually get hot enough to glow? If they are NOT getting hot enough to glow, could that cause a no-start condition? Could that cause the problem even if it is 70 degrees outside, ie, does a "cold" engine need GPs to start even in warm weather?

2)-We have replaced the OEM injectors with "refurbished" (sorry, but funds are a bit tight) injectors. It smokes a bit, but we attributed it to it not having been run for a year, and thought it may clear up.

3)-Installed a DIPACO return line kit from Mel, so I assume no leaks there.

4)-Installed new "olives" at the fuel filter head to lift pump connection, both ends of the fuel filter head to IP connection, and the return line to ip connection. Are there any others?

5)-Since we needed a "cold idle solenoid" and a nearby junk had an 86 'running engine' f-250, we were able to purchase the entire pump for a very reasonable price. We swapped the pump, setting the "static timing" to line up the two marks. We Know that we need to do dynamic timing, but are they that sensitive to timing that setting it statically would cause a "no start"?

There is a slight diesel smell when cranking. Cranking speed is pretty good. Pair of newer 1000 CCA batteries, new 2/0 cables. I know it is frowned upon, but a 1/2 second shot of ether into the snorkel of the air cleaner, and it fires right up. Seems to run and drive o.k., once it is warm. Based on the above, any ideas of what we may be missing? I have never owned a Diesel before, and appreciate the group members being so generous with advice.

Edit: Another pertinent detail is that the truck WILL start on it's own when left overnight, but only after cranking it for about 10 seconds, and at least 3 rounds of that. So, it'll start, but not nearly as easy as it ought to.

Last edited:

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Hmmm... Part of me just wants to think it's fuel delivery. My '85 would crank right up with a 1/4 second shot of ether and about 2 seconds of cranking. My WAG goes to bad fuel lines from the tank, or bad fuel pump. Or a combination of both.

I can't speak for what the glow plugs look like when they're out of the engine. The last time I tried to see what happened when I applied direct 12v power to a 6.2 glow plug, it glowed white after about 3 seconds and 2 seconds later popped dead.

dirtbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... Part of me just wants to think it's fuel delivery. My '85 would crank right up with a 1/4 second shot of ether and about 2 seconds of cranking. My WAG goes to bad fuel lines from the tank, or bad fuel pump. Or a combination of both.

I can't speak for what the glow plugs look like when they're out of the engine. The last time I tried to see what happened when I applied direct 12v power to a 6.2 glow plug, it glowed white after about 3 seconds and 2 seconds later popped dead.

Oh yeah, it'll start right up with a lil shot of ether... The issue is getting it to start without ether lol. Anyhow, I think that the fuel lines are all good, I was thinking MAYBE it would be the lift pump. Any good ways to test it?

As far as the glow plugs, I had one out and put 12v to it and it glowed after about 10 seconds. But then when I took the same glow plug and put it back to getting power from the controller, it would get hot and smoke but never glow.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Best way to test the lift pump is with a pressure gauge on the schrader valve. It's on the fuel filter facing the injection pump.

dirtbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best way to test the lift pump is with a pressure gauge on the schrader valve. It's on the fuel filter facing the injection pump.

Yeah, that's what I figured, but wasn't sure if there were any other ideas. Do you know about what pressure it should be?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
But it runs good after you get it started?
If yes, doesn't sound fuel related to me.

In my experience, glowplugs should glow red after 3-5 seconds of direct 12v power.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
It "could" run ok after starting with a bad lift pump, as the IP will draw fuel...seen it, but it's ******* the IP. But as 79 said, I'm more leaning toward a glow plug issue. Check fuel pressure and volume, I use a locking air chuck on the Schrader valve. You should be moving a pretty decent volume of fuel, there is an amount in a certain time frame somewhere, but I'm struggling to locate it.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it'll start right up with ether than you're getting fuel into the cylinders. Could be timing though I think it'd have to be pretty far off. Are you sure the glow plugs are correct? Might be something causing them to not be on long enough?

Does it try to start and stumble when you crank it, or just nothing till 3rd round of cranking?

Maybe a combo of bad timing, weak starter and low compression? Or just plain low compression and a worn out motor.

I'd get the timing set dynamically so at least you know that's right and then do a compression check.

Could be the injection pump gear is off somehow. With ether these engines will start and run with timing horribly off. Had one 360* (crank) off and it still ran. No power, but idled well.

Even at 70* glow plugs are required. Remember too that the engine is quite likely colder than the air temp especially in the morning. That's a lot of iron to warm up. Don't think the glow plugs necessarily 'glow' I seem to recall the one time I checked they did, but different make plugs may be different.

Might try taking a plug out and jumpering directly to the battery for the same length of time and seeing if it's the same temp (as much as you can tell) as when it's connected. Maybe you have a bad connection or degraded relay that's only giving you partial voltage to the plugs?

dirtbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I mean once it starts up, it runs fine and everything. It's just the starting issue, and it's got both me and my father scratching our heads... We replaced all the glow plugs with brand new Motorcraft ZD9's (bullet style since the engine is a late 86). If I let the glow plug relay run automatically with one glow plug out, the plug will get hot but not glow. Maybe the starter is going out as well, but I'm not sure... What do you guys recommend if I end up replacing it?

Also, I checked fuel pressure at the valve and it's reading 5 to 6. I was using a tire pressure gauge though cause I couldn't find what I wanted to use, so I'm not sure how accurate it is.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I let the glow plug relay run automatically with one glow plug out, the plug will get hot but not glow.
That tells me your not getting enough current thru the GP relay. Could be a bad relay, corroded/burnt connector by the valve cover, one of the fusible links (there are two FL wires colored orange or light brown) they go straight from the battery thru the connector to the GP relay. Check the voltage at the output of the GP relay when the GP's are ON, should drop from 12.6 VDC to about 8.5 to 9.5 VDC when glowing, then slowly rise back up to 11.5 VDC just before shut off.

Reread your post, what engine do you have 6.9 or 7.3. What GP controller do you have, the one that screws into the block or the module mounted on the VC?

Last edited:

dirtbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This helps. We thought maybe the GPs are not getting hot ENOUGH for the motor to start. After one crank, we can smell unburnt fuel. On the second crank, we can see some smoke out the exhaust. Finally, after three LONG cranks, she'll come to life. If we apply 12v straight to the GPs, they are RED HOT in less than 10 seconds (they are Motorcrafts). If we take one out and ground it (just to see), the tip is warm enough to SMOKE when the controller goes into "afterglow" mode (after seven seconds), but never RED HOT. The voltages will help. When checking the output voltage of the relay, would you check it in the harness side or the relay side of the resistor? It IS a Solid State controller (apparently a very late 86, with bullet style connectors).

dirtbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All connections are good. Using the above posted voltages, though, we could see there was something wrong. Voltage through the relay was only .5 to 2.5 volts (it varied). Quick trip to Napa, and we had glow plugs that, indeed, did glow! I am sure the timing needs to be set, still, but it actually started with no ether on the second try:D! One peculiarity, though, is that the WTS light (we mounted and wired one into the dash of this 79 F-150) goes off after 7 seconds, but the relay doesn't go into 'afterglow' until 10 or 11 seconds. If you try to start when the light shuts off, it still is hard. If you wait until the relay shuts off then goes to afterglow, it starts (cold) on the second try. Does everybody else's wts light shut off at the same time as the relay, or do we still have a problem? Thanks for everybody's help. There's hope for this beast yet!

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Check the compression. A good engine will show around 400 psi; down to 320 will still run but may have starting issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle