6.9 Rebuild Question

LASVEGAS7.3IDI

LASVEGAS7.3IDI
Reaction score
:dunno so my ? is im converting a bus 6.9 for a truck install and have to move the oil dipstick location from the front port to the rear port and was wondering which way to drive the bb/steel ball pluging the rear port out and when installing in the front port drive in from top or bottom

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, I don't know the answer to this, but I'm, bumping it cause I believe someone here can tell you for sure.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Your going to need to take the pan off. There are two reasons for this. First the pan needs to ne reversed so the sump is in the back like our trucks have it. Secondly you need to remove that small plug from the pan. No reason for leaving it in the oil pan. Use rtv for the oil pan gasket just like the factory did. If you find a pan gasket get rid of it. They were not a factory item and they will leak. Clean the surfaces with brake clean because it wont leave a film after drying. A well laid bead of rtv is all thats needed. A little extra is commonly used in the corners where the front and rear seal plates connect to the pan and block. To plug up the front dip stick hole in the block just use rtv and also rtv the rear block dip stick hole. The factory o-ring usually wont fit and cause leaks. RTV wont leak. I use permatex copper plus because its a high temp and oil resistant rtv...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle