6.9 idi boost question.

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok well it looks like I'm gonna have to start Savin up. Hopefully ill have it all done by the spring

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
IMHO with head studs theres no reasson to limit your boost (especially if you overtorque the studs slightly), all it takes engine wise to withstand 500whp is studs, cam and valve springs, beyond that the stock internals can withstand anything we can throw at them. Without the cam and springs you just wont be able to make as much power.

Dont get me wrong to get to 500+whp youll also need a DB4 IP, turbo and lift pump but the engine internals dont take much modding (check out http://www.idiperformance.com/ for parts needed...turbos still in R&D and no its not my site)

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boost isn't your bigest problem..Studds will hold to 30psi on a 6.9 Your stock compression and stock cam will be your week point. EGT's will be higher with stock compression than with shaved pistons at the same gauge psi of boost. get a intercooler for your combo it helps with EGT's and gives more power. get your combo together and see how it runs , Then tune it from there.

Blsford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the fact that nobody can provide proof stating the 6.9/7.3 cannot hold but 12-15psi on bolts. I've searched high and low for data regarding this, but when watching YouTube and snooping around other forums those numbers just appear to be myths. I wish I could find the link to a video where a stock 6.9 (plus 093 kit) hit around 20psi and 1300+ egts with no problems. I'll try to find it again. By no means am I encouraging this, but rather trying to credit the idi for being one tough SOB ;). I'd feel just fine boosting without a worry....especially with head studs

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What lifts the heads is not boost but rather heat warping the head and making it wiggle around until the gasket distorts enough to blow.
Coolant condition is what blows the gaskets not boost. boost makes more engine heat wich makes coolant boil inside the cylinder head jacket, wich allows for cavitation inside the water jacket.
Once that happens the metal temp soars and the whole heads wiggles.

Happens alot to 6.0s the same exact way, that it why they will blow even with studs.
All them union worker mentality mechanics wont mention how to make it bulletproof so that way they can put thug grub on the table.

Javier

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMHO with head studs theres no reasson to limit your boost (especially if you overtorque the studs slightly), all it takes engine wise to withstand 500whp is studs, cam and valve springs, beyond that the stock internals can withstand anything we can throw at them. Without the cam and springs you just wont be able to make as much power.

Dont get me wrong to get to 500+whp youll also need a DB4 IP, turbo and lift pump but the engine internals dont take much modding (check out http://www.idiperformance.com/ for parts needed...turbos still in R&D and no its not my site)

OM Goodness...are really going to throw out a 500+ WHP comment....tis not been done realistically YET...I cannot believe you just did that....rofl.

Lets not start another round of this ***** shall we....Ya the boys where close...but seriously 500+ HP....come on....be sensible about this.

325-375 is very doable with right turbo/cam/pump/injector combination...hell 1000 is allegedly doable too...but lets stick with facts no theoretical ratings...

The OP wants a turbo and a pump ....

Yup...that's doable on a budget.......studs turbo and a decent pump...IC if you can...done deal!

...no need for a $1200.00 plus...pump...or custom one off turbos etc....unless the OP has $$$ to spend on stuff like that!

It is very easy for us to spend someone elses money and build their engine in a thread...but brass tacks...suggest it's usually more difficult for the OP to do so...

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey 500ftlbs is 500HP just at a lower RPM.
in diesel 500ftlbs is 250/300 WHP

Now 500 WHP is 1000ftlbs at half the rpm.

Not a chance with the IDI @500 WHP but I bet we would all be happy with 375WHP and 800ftlbs and that is doable.

Javier

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like was said before, 20psi is safe. Especially with that turbo. There are quite a few guys going closer to 25psi now but I would say if you are worried about it, keep it a t 20psi...

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
With the fuel/turbo options currently avalible 500+whp (less then 600whp) is possible with an IDI, know 1 currently running thats very close, another once he gets his IP back should have it and a 3rd is still being built but based on what hes building should have 500+whp as well... I know you guys hate to think its possible for an IDI to make decent power but it is possible (and if I could talk myself into not racing for a seasson I would be up there power wise as well)

And for those that care racin is currently R&Ding a bolt on replacment for the ATS 093 capable of 450+whp so a "custom" setup wouldnt even be required. (last I heard)

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
there is one guy on another forum with an HE351VE who i think hit low 20's in boost on STOCK engine. stock headbolts. nothing other than perma grin happened.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there is one guy on another forum with an HE351VE who i think hit low 20's in boost on STOCK engine. stock headbolts. nothing other than perma grin happened.

He consistently hits 24psi. He hits that much boost multiple times per day from what he has said cus he can't keep his foot out of it. Head studs are definitely a good idea though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFMac

Members online