6.9 High idle switch

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I have a bad tendency of leaving the truck running at idle for periods of time. I believe I've read some where before that this is no good.
My boss has a deleted 6.7 Cummins he uses for work and whenever he parks his truck and walks away for an extended period of time he flips the switch and it goes into high idle. What purpose does this serve and would it be a good idea for me to install one on my truck given the circumstances. How long does the truck need to be sitting at idle after warm up for a H.I.S to be required? Thanks

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re not gonna hurt anything in these trucks just idling them, tractor engines don’t mind some idle time

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Idle oil pressure is pretty low on these engines, might be proper to idle it up for extended periods.
I do. Wire up the hi idle solenoid.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I've heard is the issue is "wet stacking" which from what I heard is when fuel builds up from incompletely burning at idle.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet_stacking

I don't know if you need to worry about it or not but if you're like me, anything that could hurt your baby will worry you lol!

I've considered wiring up the high idle to a switch myself, but haven’t bothered yet. Maybe if I ever get my air compressor installed...

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve wanted to do this but I can’t think of a way to kick the high idle on with out also turning on the cold advance. Pretty sure they’re wired together. I like the automatic high idle shut off so I really don’t want it to be switched only

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve wanted to do this but I can’t think of a way to kick the high idle on with out also turning on the cold advance. Pretty sure they’re wired together. I like the automatic high idle shut off so I really don’t want it to be switched only

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My auto high idle/shut off work also and I don't want to interfere with its working but would like to have the option for manual mode with those ridiculously long idle times. Making a quick run into the store or whatever doesn't really bother me so much. But there are times I'm working and get caught up and the truck is left running in the Texas heat for periods at a time. When I return to the truck and hit the pedal it will dump black smoke out almost like it was just sitting in the exhaust building up like it wasn't "breathing" enough. Maybe it's just my head screwing with me.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s easy to setup, I did it in the ambo project. Just have a switch in the cab with 12v and connect it to the high idle advance. Flip the switch and blip the throttle and you’re golden

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Easiest thing would be to turn the engine off and take the key with you...

But if you must leave it running for some reason or another my two cents is:
Ford considers "extended idling"(greater than 5 mins I think) severe duty and this halves the oil change interval from 5k to 2.5k. That's quite significant so there is definately something to it.

Like thewespaul said it's quite easy to set up. However I'm not sure how high the idle needs to be to get it out of the danger zone for extended idling. ~1k might not do it, something to look into for sure.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I've heard is the issue is "wet stacking" which from what I heard is when fuel builds up from incompletely burning at idle.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet_stacking

I don't know if you need to worry about it or not but if you're like me, anything that could hurt your baby will worry you lol!
That's the issue with extended idle... low EGT/low head and cylinder temps.

Easiest thing would be to turn the engine off and take the key with you...

Ford considers "extended idling"(greater than 5 mins I think) severe duty and this halves the oil change interval from 5k to 2.5k. That's quite significant so there is definately something to it.

Same information is found in the owners manual of my '17 F450. I let it idle for a couple of minutes (2-3 at most) to cool the turbo after I've hauled something heavy, but otherwise I just shut her down.

I can see a guy letting a company rig idle forever cause it is very unlikely he is gonna keep that rig for more than a couple of years before selling and buying a new one. Me.... I'm planning on keeping my trucks for decades.... so I want to keep them as safe as possible from unnecessary wear and tear.

Heath

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726