6.9 EXPANSION PLUGS

promustangman

Reaction score
Hey anybody on the west coast have any of the 6.9 freeze plugs laying around. Went to the local Whats left in town Ford Dealer they say the closest ones are in Tennessee!!!!:eek::eek:
That does me no good here in Sacto I might just have to go order them!!!

Plus I need to find an instalation tool!!!

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
Hey anybody on the west coast have any of the 6.9 freeze plugs laying around. Went to the local Whats left in town Ford Dealer they say the closest ones are in Tennessee!!!!:eek::eek:
That does me no good here in Sacto I might just have to go order them!!!

Plus I need to find an instalation tool!!!

I can check with the Ford dealership here (about 3 blocks away) on Monday and see what they say.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Buy the real set from Ford. They are stainless steel and thats the best you can get. Use some sealant on them too. I didn't and some started leaks later on. The special tool is part number 303d045 and Rotunda has it for around $135.00. Don't try to install them without thetl. Its real easy to mess up and install them wrong. Then they pop out and you wont know it till the motor melts down. Happened to me. The crappy shop that machined my motor for me screwed me by installing brass plugs. One let go at 3 miles and costme almost $300.00 to replace. That shop wouldn't cover the full cost. old me to let them fix the next one...:eek: Sure enough thnext one let go at 5200 miles in a nemotor while pulling a grade empty. Never saw the temp go up becase no collant was in the motor. It was ony when I heard the motor clatter because my oil temp was past 330 degrees did I know something was wrong. Then the motor froze up because the pistons started leaving aluminum on the sleeves... Ford sells 7plugs in a bag and are your best bet fr doing this job correctly. The factory used sealant is no long made so use something good. I used permatex avaition sealat and others use Hylomar universal blue sealant.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
The plugs are easy to find, use Ford parts. I paid about $1.60 each for a set of 7.

I have the tool, you can use it for the cost of shipping both ways. I am in Pasadena, PM me if you want it.

promustangman

Reaction score
We are debating to pull the motor and do all the plugs .
It wont be for a few weekends.
we used those copper napa ones about 6 months ago and you see where I am at back to doing it again !!
plus it gives me a reason to find that oil leak !! LOL!!!
Kinda looks like the rear main judging by the trail of oil on the bottom of motor.

The motor did get hot, but it will fire right up . When I drained the oil I didnt notice any pieces .
We redid the oil cooler about 6 months ago Thats when we put those napa deals in .

I check with 2 dealers Here in sacto and 1 said nobody has them and 1 said that they would have to come from Tenessee ..

Looks like partsdirect for me .
Cracks me up $12 shipping for them LOL .

Thanks for Helping Guys !! ;Sweet I am new to diesels and need all the help and advice I can get !!!

promustangman

Reaction score
The plugs are easy to find, use Ford parts. I paid about $1.60 each for a set of 7.

I have the tool, you can use it for the cost of shipping both ways. I am in Pasadena, PM me if you want it.

Thanks for the offer will do when we have the motor out I am not in a hurry want this thing to last !!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin