6.9 Exhaust System

FordIDIot

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ya ok i may be wrong about how i worded it but if you just put a huge 4" straight pipe even with a really nice flowing Y-pipe it will give you a few more ponies on the top end with a loss on bottom end.

ive done exhaust on several IDI NA trucks and over the years and ive learned what works. for me it was 3" exhaust with a custom made y-pipe and a straight core muffler. no loss of bottom end and let the engine breath on the top end.

straight piping your stock exhaust is going to do nothing but sound like crap.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Straight piping stock exhaust dropped my egts 150* and improved my air fuel ratio. Do you have any data showing how you lost bottom end torque?

What you think sounds good is a matter of opinion, some guys like how Honda’s sound, and that’s cool but not what I like. I still respect their opinion

VandalS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either way, all I'm seeing are 4" systems but my plan is to get a turbo. If I end up buying a new banks kit it comes with an exhaust, but if I find a good used turbo kit I'm going 4". Almost had one yesterday, but turns out my max bid was just a hair under someone else's last second bid.

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally would not suggest buying a new banks kit. For less than half the cost @typ4 has factory based kits starting at $1200. That would be a far better spent dollar than on a banks. Nothing against banks but $ for $. If you are set on a brand new kit check out idiperformance.com
otherwise if it were me I would buy one of russ's kits, heck you could even have him upgrade it so it has even more power, and then buy a 4" exhaust, and you are into a turbo and exhaust for $1600 or less. Which leaves money for other things like diesel, or nitrous whichever you prefer...

:)

Also I same as @Thewespaul dropped 150* doing a 4" exhaust on my n/a

Rossroams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've just taken to get my F250, 6.9idi, factory turbo with banks downpipe to have the exhaust welded, as well as to have the truck aligned. I went with a 4" diamond eye exhaust for an OBS powerstroke. I went with a cat back/with muffler system and had more than enough pipe for my singlecab wheelbase. Is it overkill, of course. Was it cheaper compared to a custom full exhaust... probably. 270$ for the kit, hangers, and reducer. Most turbo IDIs will be fine with a 3" exhaust, 3.5" is Bank's optimal recommended size.

I would also look on EBAY for a used kit, yet Typ4 is also a better alternative.

Of the videos of 4" straight pipe setups it seems pretty loud due to the large exhaust diameter. The videos of straight pipe 3" and 3.5" diameter seem more quiet due to the smaller diameter of the exhaust. That could be total B.S. though...

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally would not suggest buying a new banks kit. For less than half the cost @typ4 has factory based kits starting at $1200. That would be a far better spent dollar than on a banks. Nothing against banks but $ for $. If you are set on a brand new kit check out idiperformance.com
otherwise if it were me I would buy one of russ's kits, heck you could even have him upgrade it so it has even more power, and then buy a 4" exhaust, and you are into a turbo and exhaust for $1600 or less. Which leaves money for other things like diesel, or nitrous whichever you prefer...

:)

Also I same as @Thewespaul dropped 150* doing a 4" exhaust on my n/a

Where can I find info on Russ’s turbo kits?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can tell you mine is super quite. You can have a conversation over the exhaust exit. Slight whistle but that is all. good sound, and loud enough when needed. 3" down pipe 4" exhaust with muffler. diamond eye powerstroke kit.
If you are on facebook at all message Michelle N Russell Mathis. His picture is currently of a basset hound. He will give you any info you could want. Factory turbo based and can be upgraded if you want. Facebook is the fastest way I have found.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Russ @typ4 is a good guy to work with. You can "start a conversation" with him (used to be known as a private message) by using his name on here "typ4". I sent my IP out to Russ this past fall for rebuilding, and had him go through my injectors as well. Russ "has a day job" and is very busy, so sometimes it may take him a bit to reply. However, you can be assured that he will do a great job on whatever you have him do or purchase form him and he will stand behind it.