6.9 diesel lift pump cam issue, HELP!!

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
On some V8s, the cam lobe that drives the fuel pump has an outer ring on it that would spin freely, independent of the cam position. But I do not remember the 6.9 having such a ring for the pump. If so, no problem, install the Epump and drive home. It has been a couple of years since I rebuilt my engine and I honestly do not remember the feature.

If there is no ring, the cam is broken and the engine should not run, or the key is sheared and the engine should not run, or run badly.

Can you turn the lobe an entire revolution? If so, no worries. If not, broken cam or key.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
knuckledragger,

there is no ring on these, and the lobe hasa keyslot in it but is behind the key when all the way on.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Darrin is in grand rapids. And he might even have a cam, if not, Ron does and he ain't far from there. Contact dsldogcatcher(Ron) he should be able to help ya out.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's Darren Tosh "IDI HOUND". He has a car lot in Grand Rapids. PM him. or "dsldogcatcher" Ron. Either one will help you.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
You are on the right place for something like this to happen. Great guys, lots of tools.

viprus

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys, i gave it a quick look over today. The lobe just rotates all the way around, no catches, no side to side play either. The truck does run, and it runs well, when i use a electric pump. I'll give Daron or Ron a message and see what i can find out. I am a little hesitant about driving this thing 500 miles back home, I don't mind fixing my truck mid route.. but an engine overhaul is a little to much to gamble. And I'm sort of in a time-crunch because i have orders that start on the 17th for me to go TDY for 2 months..

I have a motorcycle with me in case all else fails...

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I've got at least 7 cams and Darrins shop is open for the next 3 weeks as Bob is on vacation so his shop is available for parts. Pm heading your way with contact info!

viprus

Reaction score
I fixed the PM issue, i didn't realize it was off by default. Thanks for the contact info. Also, how much would you want for a camshaft?

I'm assuming im going to need intake gasket kit, timing gasket kit, anything else?

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up on this Ron,

Andy is here at my shop tearing into his truck. Should have tore apart today and see what it looks like. We will keep you all posted,..

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just when you thought you've seen it all....

You get an A+ on your diagnostic skills.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
It is 6:00 and Andy is back on the road. He tore into the front of the motor, found out that the cam gear bolt came loose, letting the fuel pump lobe spin freely on the cam. So no need to replace the cam, just tighten it with some Lock Tite, put the front of the motor back together, new fuel pump, and it runs great.

Overall a successful day;Sweet

He will let us know once he makes the 500 mile trip back home tomorrow

viprus

Reaction score
Alright, well first off I want to send out a big Thank You to all you guys and especially Darrin for letting me use is garage and tools and Ron for letting me bother him on the phone a couple of times and the willingness to part with a cam for cheap if i needed it.

Second off, i want to say that i'm not new to automotive forums and communities... But this is by far the most helpful and hospitable group I have ever been apart of. At one part i was gettin frustrated with my diesel and was trying to sell it.... or pawn it off on Darrin for a diesel VW.... but frankly i'm gonna plan on keeping it for a while, It goes along with my other 2 gas fords, and the hospitality of this group goes along way. Thanks again.

Now, thread related, Darrin pretty much summed it up, my camshaft bolt came loose and the gear backed out just enough for the pump lobe to spin on the cam shaft. I took the front cover off and pulled off the cam gear to inspect the cam. The lobe and camshaft looked fine, so i just put it all back together, gave the bolt the blue lock tight treatment, and took a torque wrench to it. It starts and drives fine now.

Now on to bigger and better things, like replacing my fenders with some georgia truck fenders i sourced and sortin out the 89 body on a 85 chassis wiring mess the PO left me.

I'll leave a note tomorrow after i complete my trip when i get back home if everything went well.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
glad ya got it going again. them mitten people gotta stick together.

and as for us being the way we are, why do you think we call ourselves the brotherhood?

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Andy,

Congratulations on getting it fixed with little drama, And thank you to Darrin for his help. The great thing about this forum is that eventually someone will give you the help you need. In the meantime, we all try to give the best advice we can and better yet, we actually listen to what you think.

I have been on other forums also and this one is unique. Instead of playing games or insulting everyone, support is the goal. Feels good on both ends.

As these trucks get older and less support is coming from manufacturers, we will have to stick together to get the parts and information we need to keep them going. This place is special enough to fulfill that order.