6.9 diesel lift pump cam issue, HELP!!

viprus

Reaction score
So, long story short, my 1985 f250 was hard to start. I thought the lift pump failed due to no diesel getting pumped into the filter head. So I replaced the lift pump, and it still diden't pump... upon further inspection i found that the lift pump cam rotates freely, which is slightly alarming. The link shows a youtube video of the problem

http://youtu.be/hLd2BHuZji0

First off.. how hard/expensive is this to fix? I'm a fully certified mechanic, and am not afraid to get messy, i just have never torn into a diesel before... I picked up this rig for 500 bucks a few months ago.

Second off, I'm in my parents driveway, so my tools are limited to a basic socket set, vise grips, and a hammer... I'm currently about 500 miles away from my home so i don't have the comfort of my tool box...

Third, I have a electric boost pump i can use for temporary purposes, but i would really like to get this fixed.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
The fix would be to tear the front cover off the engine and remove the camshaft. It would be easier to install an electric pump and be done with it for now.

viprus

Reaction score
The fix would be to tear the front cover off the engine and remove the camshaft. It would be easier to install an electric pump and be done with it for now.

Thanks for the quick reply, can you explain what exactly happens to my camshaft? Is the lift pump lobe just pressed on? I'm worried about driving 500 miles back if my camshaft is falling apart.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
I think there's a key that should be holding the pump lobe in position. Not really any way for it to come out, and the same key holds the timing gear in place. I haven't had one of these cams apart, but that's usually how they are assembled.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Oh, if the key were to start sliding out, it would come into contact with the front cover right behind the water pump and you'd have a pretty good leak going.

viprus

Reaction score
So, you think it might be a broken key? The timing gear still turns the whole cam, and the truck does run.. There are no leaks (yet)...

So in your opinion you think this rig will make a 500 mile drive? Or should I tear the motor apart down here in my parents driveway...

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Guess I should ask if the fuel problem just happened, or have you been troubleshooting it since you bought the truck? Worst case is if the camgear comes loose you just bought a new engine. The teardown to replace the key is going to involve pulling the radiator, fan, intake, waterpump, harmonic balancer and front cover to start.

viprus

Reaction score
Alright, thanks a bunch for the info... I'm assuming tearing the camshaft out is comparable to any other ford ohv v8?

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Where are you at right now? There may be someone here close by that might be able to lend a hand. Maybe give your return route info so some may be on hand to help if things go TU.

viprus

Reaction score
I'm certain the cam gear isent coming loose.. this is a problem that's been plaguing me since i bought the truck. That's why i bought the electric boost pump. I just had some down time and though i would try to fix it proper. It looks likes its gonna be a mess. Oh well, i guess i got the truck for the right price eh?

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
For the price, you got a good deal. The PO probably couldn't figure out the problem. Drive easy and it will probably be fine. I would want to check it at some point just to be sure everythings ok.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the pump lobe is behind the key, the key cannot slide out. the press fit of the lobe and cam gear usually hold it tight. I just wonder it the bolt came loose. it "should" be ok for 500 miles, I have reground lobes if you need one. but the cam may be bad/worn from it turning. See if it slides front to back, if so dont drive it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online