6.9 block work

Frstdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys I'm knee deep in this rebuild.
With only 90k on this engine the block only needs a light honing, and I'll install new cam bearings.
However the coolant passages have a lot of junk and rust in them.
I would like to have it vatted but I read on here don't mess with the freeze plugs if you can get away with it.
If it's going to eat out the freeze plugs I also read on here they are a pain to deal with and need special tools to correctly install new ones.
Maybe my local IH shop can install them after getting the block vatted.
Suggestions?

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely get the block cleaned. You don't want all that crap in the cooling system or you'll be asking for trouble later on. The IH dealer would be good if you don't feel comfortable or have the tools to do the freeze plugs.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How bad are the passages? Can you post a picture? I would start with some some vinegar and some gun bore cleaning brushes and see how clean you can get it with that, it would be ideal to get the majority of the crud out without doing a full hot tank, especially with how low mileage that block is.

Frstdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Frstdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Frstdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I'll just bite the bullet and get it tanked.
Then I'll worry about the freeze plugs.
Thanks guys.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My machine shop had no issue tanking my block with the freeze plugs left in place.

Frstdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just called the local IH shop.
The guy I spoke with said "just use a self-tapping screw and slide hammer to remove the old ones and put some gasket eliminator on the new ones and drive them in using a socket that will fit in the cup." I told him I had read that there is a special tool used to install them. He said "well that's the way we would do it here, haven't heard of a special tool"

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I just called the local IH shop.
The guy I spoke with said "just use a self-tapping screw and slide hammer to remove the old ones and put some gasket eliminator on the new ones and drive them in using a socket that will fit in the cup." I told him I had read that there is a special tool used to install them. He said "well that's the way we would do it here, haven't heard of a special tool"
Please DO NOT use this shop. The guy is clearly a fool and unknowing of the proper way of the idi engine. Sure you or anyone else "can" install the plugs with a socket but you will NEVER know if done correctly. Or plugs require the special tool so the ark in the plug is compressed enough to cut into the block

Frstdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have been doing it off and on for decades but only about 5-6 engines (gas) and never had an issue with them leaking or blowing out.
But I want it done right I don't want to be stranded in the middle of nowhere with a blown out freeze plug.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
If you are doing your own work, pull the plugs before getting the block boiled out.

Icanfixall is right, if this guy is telling you he does not even know about the install tool , he is either joking or an idiot. Either way, run away from this shop.

The disc freeze plugs have been used since Ford introduced them in Model A engines. The installation tools are probably unchanged since the 1920s. If you cannot find a tool locally, PM me about borrowing mine.