6.9 7.3 oil consumption?

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is my personal theory that could be totally wrong that the IDI uses the head design to achieve complete fuel burn whereas the DI uses the turbo to achieve complete fuel burn.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
It is my personal theory that could be totally wrong that the IDI uses the head design to achieve complete fuel burn whereas the DI uses the turbo to achieve complete fuel burn.
There are a lot of DIs that came non turbo in heavy equipment, and trucks, that I'm sure completely burn fuel. I've always felt they burned cleaner to be honest, but that could just be my experience
And I really don't think the turbo would make a difference whether DI or IDI, either way the turbo is forcing more air in the mix, thus a cleaner burn. No matter what engine, more air in will give a cleaner burn, IDI or DI.
If anything, the DI heads flow better, but that's beside the point
Rock

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of DIs that came non turbo in heavy equipment, and trucks, that I'm sure completely burn fuel. I've always felt they burned cleaner to be honest, but that could just be my experience
And I really don't think the turbo would make a difference whether DI or IDI, either way the turbo is forcing more air in the mix, thus a cleaner burn. No matter what engine, more air in will give a cleaner burn, IDI or DI.
If anything, the DI heads flow better, but that's beside the point
Rock
Wow thanks for sharing! Appreciate the info.

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
I wouldnt be surprised if the PSD ( I assume thats what we mean when saying "DI"?) achieves more complete combustion across the RPM range simply because of it's engine control systems being more precise and adaptable to different loads and speeds.

I prefer the mechanical nature of the IDI myself but theres no denying the performance benefits of the PSD+ systems.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
The idi design in general is also better at burning a fuel that was injected from a worn/poor spray pattern injector. It takes a pretty bad spray pattern to create a hazy idle in an idi, compared to say a powerstroke which will smoke and stink to high heaven even with slightly worn injectors when started cold.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I wouldnt be surprised if the PSD ( I assume thats what we mean when saying "DI"?) achieves more complete combustion across the RPM range simply because of it's engine control systems being more precise and adaptable to different loads and speeds.

I prefer the mechanical nature of the IDI myself but theres no denying the performance benefits of the PSD+ systems.
My thought has always been that the DI design is more efficient at using the combustion event, especially under power. Have always felt like the IDI design has some losses with combustion starting/happening in the pre chamber. I dont think the DI burns fuel more completely, especially cold and under low load...that is the smoke and stink.

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
My thought has always been that the DI design is more efficient at using the combustion event, especially under power. Have always felt like the IDI design has some losses with combustion starting/happening in the pre chamber. I dont think the DI burns fuel more completely, especially cold and under low load...that is the smoke and stink.
Well when it comes to an ICE, "more efficient" and burning fuel more completely are one and the same. Besides, the PSD can actively adjust it's injection pressure and pulse duration based on demand whereas the IDI cannot.

Olds64

Reaction score
Sorry to change the subject as the FNG, but didn't Ford release a TSB to retorque the heads of the 6.9l to address oil leaks at the back of the head?

I recall reading this somewhere as I tested my Bullnose one evening with a clean piece of cardboard underneath the engine and it was obvious the HGs were leaking. Check it out!

You must be registered for see images attach

I've always intended to retorque the heads on my 6.9l. MAW add head studs if I install the turbo I have though.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It's very unusual, as in next to impossible for head gaskets to leak oil. There's no oil pressure through the head gaskets to make them leak oil. It's usually valve cover gaskets or something on top of the engine that's actually leaking the oil.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Just to throw it out there, the engine I'm tearing apart, the head was pushing oil out at the exhaust side rear corner on the passenger bank. It was mostly combustion coming out too, but let it run long enough and it had a trickle. But it also could be because of the bad hone and bad rings not scraping the oil back too.

On another note, how does the oil get to the valves to lube them? Is it all through the push rods?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7