6.8L Ford V10

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
I now own a 2001 Excursion Limited 4x4 with the 6.8L V10 and an automatic. Even though it's a gasser, I love it. I'm getting about 14 mpg on the highway at 70 mph and about 10 mpg in town (I like the throttle too). I was told by Ford that stock the exhaust is very restrictive to keep the "cabin" noise down. Some guys have told me that adding a more free flowing exhaust helped mileage and sounded good, but made the passenger area have more noise at certain speeds and rpms. My Excursion weighs in at 7,400 lbs. For the weigh, I'm very impressed with the power and acceleration. The engine will rev up nice and high if needed too. Only mods I have done to mine is adding a K&N air filter so far. Only concern so far is hoping I don't have one that has a spark plug thread issue...

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I now own a 2001 Excursion Limited 4x4 with the 6.8L V10 and an automatic. Even though it's a gasser, I love it. I'm getting about 14 mpg on the highway at 70 mph and about 10 mpg in town (I like the throttle too). I was told by Ford that stock the exhaust is very restrictive to keep the "cabin" noise down. Some guys have told me that adding a more free flowing exhaust helped mileage and sounded good, but made the passenger area have more noise at certain speeds and rpms. My Excursion weighs in at 7,400 lbs. For the weigh, I'm very impressed with the power and acceleration. The engine will rev up nice and high if needed too. Only mods I have done to mine is adding a K&N air filter so far. Only concern so far is hoping I don't have one that has a spark plug thread issue...

As far as i know that was only an issue w the 99 V10 and the 5.4 till 03

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
I checked last night, and I run about 2,200 rpms at 70-75 mph. I'm thinking 3.73 gears or something in that area on mine. I'll check the rear pumpkin later today.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
we have a fleet of V-10 buses at work. the 2002 buses only had issues after the plugs were changed...they lasted maybe 3 months before a plug went airborn.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
we have a fleet of V-10 buses at work. the 2002 buses only had issues after the plugs were changed...they lasted maybe 3 months before a plug went airborn.

Great... Mine has 87,*** on the odometer and I was thinking about changing the plugs. Did Ford ever recall the issue? If so, I might take it in and have it fixed BEFORE I change the plugs.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Excursions only came with autos. There is a Guy on POWERSTROKE NATION that put a 6 speed in a 7.3 though

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
Excursions only came with autos. There is a Guy on POWERSTROKE NATION that put a 6 speed in a 7.3 though

I already though about finding a 7.3 and putting it in with a hand shaker behind it in my Excursion, but I know that will be a long ways down the road.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
Another thread went off course about the Excursion, so I'll try to get it back on course by bringing it here. I'm worried about the "plug blowout" issue that the Triton engines suffer from. What is the best procedure for changing the plugs. Engine dead cold after sitting all night or slightly warmed up? Anyone know the torque specs for the install of the new ones, and should I apply anti-seize to the threads or could this cause the plugs to loosen easier than normal? Any help would be appeciated. Since this is my only vehicle now and I need it as my DD to get to work, I can't afford the down time of screwing this one up at all. Thanks in advance.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
i dont know if there was a real fix but u need a special socket to reach the plugs. i think there is a different plug to use or somethig i cant remember offf hand, but i was chattin with one of the ford techs at the local dealer abouyt ut one day. if i get over that way ill ask em.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
I'll check with punkmechanic and see what he says as precautions. I'm thinking about running Bosch Platinums in it, and was wondering what others have tried for brand names of plugs and what the results were. I've been told to stay with Motorcraft plugs, but I've always had good luck (and better fuel mileage) running Bosch in all my previous gassers. Any suggestions and/or advice?

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
<BUMP>
I'm picking up new plugs this weekend and will install them AFTER my trip to Bend and back (1,000 miles that I don't want a plug spitting on). Does anyone know what the torque specs for the plugs are? I want to make sure that I do this correctly. Afterall, it's been awhile since I have had to change out spark plugs... LOL

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
Haven't gotten around to the plugs yet (got the oil changed and tires rotated though), but still trying to see if anyone has any advice on the utne up procedure. I was told that the plugs only get torqued to 120 inch pouns (so 10 foot pounds), but that seems like it'd be a littlew low. Another person told me 30 foot pounds, but I believe that's WAY too much for aluminum heads...