6.8L Ford V10

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
UPDATE ON TUNE-UP...

Changed the plugs and boots during my last trip to Bend. Completed the tune-up there and drove it back here with no issues. So far, I have about 1,200 miles on it after the tune up and everything is going good (still has all 10 plugs in it... LOL). The plugs I removed had to be original with about 96,*** miles on them. Still looked decent for the miles, but glad I replaced them. My hwy. mileage increased from 13.4 mpg @ 70 mph to 14.4 mpg @ 80 mph :) and it has much better get up and go. It's nothing to hit 70-80 mph up and on ramp now. Two days after after the tune-up, my boss raced me down the highway with his '05 Dodge 1500 2WD (5.7L Hemi) and all he got to see was the @$$ of a Ford all the way ... :)

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
awsome, fun to change with them being sunk in the head so deep. its no fun in an open excusrion...try that in a E-450 bus :-D 7 hrs book time for plugs haha.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How tall of an OD do the 6 speed's have? I know the ZF 5 speed in the trash truck has a .77 Overdrive. Is it the same on the ZF 6?
BTW, Is there any company out there still making a Super Charger for the V10? I Know a few years ago there were several places churning them out, and now they're few and far between.

.73 O/D for all ZF's. gas, dismal, 5 speed, 6 speed..

Hear rumor's Granny is steeper in the 6 speed, but I can't confirm it. The biggest bonus to the 6 speed, is one more gear in your range of usefulness, which can make all the difference towing I woud imagine.

I know my NP435, if I don't shift at 4k, (460 truck) I am wind lug wind lug...

Coming out of each gear at 4500, puts me in the corresponding gear at 2500 or so.. that keeps that old 460 happy.

Hitting the rev limiter (4900 or so) under full load.. causes unique backfire episodes... try not to do that to often...

If I had a 5 speed, well, nothing would change, but if I had a 6 speed, I might be wind, powerband, wind powerband, etc.

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well guys, the '96 Chebby's looking for a new home. She told me last weekend that she's not happy anymore, and want's to start seeing other people. Friday morning I'm going on a date with one from Zanesville area. 2000 F-250, Extended Cab, Long Bed, Millenium Edition, V-10, 2wd, 5-Speed, 3.73 rear end. We'll see if sparks fly (metaphorically speaking).

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
if you dont work a v10 hard every day all day then there ok. my uncle owns a company and he pulls a trencher and trackhoe daily on a tandem axle trailer. first motor lasted pretty good untill it blew a sparkplug out of the head. replaced motor with brand new jasper an the tranny went 30k later. built up the tranny heavy duty clucthes convertor everything and it cost him out the ass. the next week it blew another spark plug out of the new jasper engine. 30k miles on the engine and boom out goes the spark plug.

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I need it for is to drive from home to college on sunday night, college to home on thursday night/friday morning, and pull trailers on the weekends at home. If I can't get the one I mentioned, I'd like to find one similar to it.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
if you dont work a v10 hard every day all day then there ok. my uncle owns a company and he pulls a trencher and trackhoe daily on a tandem axle trailer. first motor lasted pretty good untill it blew a sparkplug out of the head. replaced motor with brand new jasper an the tranny went 30k later. built up the tranny heavy duty clucthes convertor everything and it cost him out the ass. the next week it blew another spark plug out of the new jasper engine. 30k miles on the engine and boom out goes the spark plug.

i dont know about that...at work we have (im sure i said it before in this thread) 25 or so E-450 shuttle buses with the V-10s. The oldest 4 have over 250K on them and only one had an engine replaced. the other 21 are 2006 and newer but get the snot beat out of them regularly and none have even had a valve cover gasket off. im talking running/idling for 10-12 hrs a day, seeing redline (which is all but 5 grand) quite often and all.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score

Why would they replace the engine due to a blown spark plug.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
i dont know what the circumstances were for his situation but at work Ford wont warrenty the repair of a blown plug unless both heads are replaced and thats very expensive to do in a bus...and for a new reman crate engine is 1/3 more it makes sense to just R/R the engine...plus its quicker to do so.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online