V10 engine mpg questions

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know saying V10 and mpg in the same sentence are almost polar opposite:D, but I'm still curious.

My folks recently got a 04 Ford F250 with a V10, and I'm wondering what others have done to make it get
better mpg.
It currently has a high flow air filter & intake "pipe", I'm sure that helps.
Dual exhaust, pretty sure thats stock.
The tires are more of a lug tire, so I'll bet that a highway tread would help???:dunno

Has anyone used certain spark plugs, or coils, or other engine mods for mpg??
Thanks guys.

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, more of a hwy tire will help a little, especially one that is the OEM size, but not much. There may be some ECU reprogramming that could give you 1 or 2 mpg difference, but I am only speculating. Of course a real light left foot and keeping speed within reason will help a little as well. Make sure the truck as a whole is up to date in the maintenance dept.

I'd imagine there are some other little things that can be done to improve milage and its probably going to end up being a host of little things that adds up to a bit of a change, but I am pretty sure you are right, the V10 is just naturally a gas pig.

Maybe some other people will chime in.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know a couple people that own the f250 with the v10 gas engine. All I can say is, they wish they got the diesel engine instead. Although power is okay, they really do suck down the fuel. Both the people I know average around 10 mpg and they have struggled to get much better than that.
Opening up the air intake, exhaust, and adding a programmer is about it. Putting on a taller thinner tire may help as well.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tires are 265/75/16 Goodyear Wranglers, haven't looked at the door jamb for the stock size.
It has 50 or 60k miles, and its possible the plugs haven't been changed recently.
Did some reading on other sites about mods etc, think I'll keep reading.
Thanks guys.

gsxjay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine i average 12 in town and 16 highway i have done cold air intake and headers i cant complain plenty of power do any thing a diesel will do just uses more fuel

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online