6.5 turbo on an IDI?

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Ok, I know what you are thinking....Detroit and Harvester mixing? I thought the same thing, but I can get a factory turbo from an older 6.5 for $200. I want to run the same setup as 91F2504X4, remote mount the turbo beside the T case and intercool it! Maybe next year moose it!!

Is this a common thing to do? Is it worth the trouble?? Am I cookoo?

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Ok, I know what you are thinking....Detroit and Harvester mixing? I thought the same thing, but I can get a factory turbo from an older 6.5 for $200. I want to run the same setup as 91F2504X4, remote mount the turbo beside the T case and intercool it! Maybe next year moose it!!

Is this a common thing to do? Is it worth the trouble?? Am I cookoo?

I talked to a guy with a 6.5 turbo on a 6.9, and he was very pleased with it he had it mounted in the battery box, said most he had ever let it boost was 15 psi, i have pictures of it saved on my computer but im not home so i cannot post them till tomarrow

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
I wouldn't recomend it. The stock turbo on a 6.5 is far to small for a 6.5 motor, much less a 6.9 or 7.3. It will make some ok boost numbers but be way to small on the exhaust side. If it's a banks or ats aftermarket it will be a T04b garret, which will work ok and be easy to get parts for.

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
Personally I would just look for a DT466 turbo. Like Diesel dummy said, the 6.5 turbo is a lil on the small side even for the 6.5, let alone the 6.9 or 7.3.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Does anyone out there have a DT466 turbo, or know where I can get my hands on one? I have looked everywheres around here. Noting short of "borrowing" one of a truck somewheres, I can't seem to find any.

sootman73

Reaction score
why do you say the 6.5 turbo is too small for the 6.5? last time i checked it could efficiently boost 20lbs. maybe you guys are looking at the early versions of the 6.5l. there were three different kinds that i know of.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just looking at the one in my dad's truck, I'd say its dimentionally a little bigger than the T4OB in mine.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about a turbo from one of the ford inline 6.6 diesels that they put in the cabover trucks? Would that be an decent setup? I know where ones at I just really dont know much about the motors themselves.

Last edited:

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
why do you say the 6.5 turbo is too small for the 6.5? last time i checked it could efficiently boost 20lbs. maybe you guys are looking at the early versions of the 6.5l. there were three different kinds that i know of.

They can make 20 lbs of boost, but it is nowhere close to efficient. To get anything over 12-15 you have to spin the crap out of it. The turbine wheel is tiny, the exhaust housing is tiny, and the compressor wheel isn't great either. For the money a TO4B is a better choice, IMO. They were put on anything from the early 70's to late 80's in various specs and can be found for cheap.

groove

Reaction score
Would need to have a compressor map to see where it would fall, but I would hegde a bet that it would work fine on a 6.9. Displacement and RPM between the two are very close.
The GM-8 I had in my 'built' 6.5 would spin to 18 real fast. Granted, you are not going to make 30 with this turbo, but you would have to have some kind of crazy 6.9 to handle that much boost.
For the average turboed 6.9 without an intercooler, 8-12 is all sorts of fine and I believe the GM turbo will deliver this all day long.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle