6.5 rebuild

nitrohogg

nitro ******
Reaction score
hey everyone. don't post much sorry, I have a 97 3500 crew cab and the day after I paid it off I blew the passenger head gasket and now after being unbelievably busy for four months it's time to get her back on the road, my plans so far are to rebuild the 6.5 or use a 6.2 block I got. any comments on that? I want to go with the 18.1 pistons and a heath max computer, waste gate controller and an injector upgrade. who has the best pistons for the price? any other suggestion would be welcome! I need it to pull my 4500lb race trailer. oh yea, any suggestions about fasteners?? head studs? I think I'm gonna buy a main bearing girdle too. also gonna make my own intercooler, I saw something somewheres about that.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the blocks aren't as much of an issue. either the webbing is tore out or it isn't. most of the time a tore out web is related to the harmonic balancer going bad. Fluidampner(sp) has one of their exotics for the motor. Heads otoh, is pretty critical in finding a rebuilder who knows what the heck they're doing. They're going be cracked, no doubt about it....it's just how bad and if they can be fixed. Do bear in mind there's the offshore castings, and if the repair work really gets out of hand pricewise, it might be a good idea to look at what they can offer.
good luck!;Sweet

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
I'd use the 6.2 block since the '97 506 castings were some of the weakest. Definately do lower compression if not 18:1 maybe 19:1 for cold start ability. Buy good Mahle pistons or you may regret it, and have them coated if they don't come that way. Alot of time you can buy old stock on ebay for cheap. The last rebuild kit I got from the machine shop was $1000 for pistons, rings, gaskets, bearings, ect. I wouldn't waste time with the head studs, new felpro TTY bolts will hold the heads on just fine. Get the girdle kit, it's good insurance IMO.

nitrohogg

nitro ******
Reaction score
towcat, by offshore you mean marine castings?? I hope not china!!! I think I can get a set of heads from ssd for about 700 beans. I got an extremely good machine shop but they are pricey. fluidampner sounds like a great Idea too. what about timing chain?, gear drive or double roller?
dieseldummy, was that kit lower compression? seems like a good price if thats what I want. and I have a coater too, thats gonna happen without a doubt!! I wanna build a good strong reliable motor

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
towcat, by offshore you mean marine castings?? I hope not china!!! I think I can get a set of heads from ssd for about 700 beans. I got an extremely good machine shop but they are pricey. fluidampner sounds like a great Idea too. what about timing chain?, gear drive or double roller?
dieseldummy, was that kit lower compression? seems like a good price if thats what I want. and I have a coater too, thats gonna happen without a doubt!! I wanna build a good strong reliable motor
yup. I'm talking about the china stuff. I have a set on the project truck right now and am not having any issues whatsoever. I also went geardrive on the timing stuff. If you have a good machine shop use them first!

nitrohogg

nitro ******
Reaction score
put the 6.2 on a stand yesterday.....quart of antifreeze came out of the oil pan....not good!......where did ya get them heads and how much did they cost towcat??

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
Are you sure its the heads and not a cracked block or blown gasket? I'm still leary of the offshore castings. I know alot of people are using them without troubles, but they are a poor copy of stock heads IMO.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you sure its the heads and not a cracked block or blown gasket? I'm still leary of the offshore castings. I know alot of people are using them without troubles, but they are a poor copy of stock heads IMO.
they can't be that bad. the military is using them although the stuff that's coming home is pretty destroyed to be any good for salvage......
put the 6.2 on a stand yesterday.....quart of antifreeze came out of the oil pan....not good!......where did ya get them heads and how much did they cost towcat??
google up either alabama cylinder head or clearwater cylinder head. they should have you pointed in the right direction. i do have a local supplier I use but the shipping out to your neck of the woods would be a killer.

Last edited:

nitrohogg

nitro ******
Reaction score

I dunno whats cracked...The way I see it weather I use the original 6.5 or the 6.2 block I'm gonna need heads. they overheated the 6.2 perrty good so won't know until I take it apart, that'll be this week, just got home from a race in Nashville so I didn't have time last week to tear it apart.

I'm more curious about the price difference in the heads, being that I plan on building a solid, stout motor that can pull as well as a stock duramax, I'm most likely gonna get the newer better alloy heads, but ya never now, I'll do a little research on all I can.

Does anybody offer a better than stock cam for the 6.5??

the plan so far........
have block, crank, and rods, machined/cleaned up. balanced?? maybe ARP bolts
fluid dampener
still out to lunch on the gear drive or double roller.
stud girdle.
new heads.
18.1 pistons
homemade intercooler.
heath computer, lift pump, marine injectors and waste gate controller.
already got flowmaster down pipe and crossover and 3.5" strait pipe.
made my own PMD cooler/relocater

also, buddie and I have got a biodiesel set up going, so mostly will be running bio/diesel mix.

any good or better idea's out there?? :thumbsup:

nitrohogg

nitro ******
Reaction score
both Clearwater and Alabama heads are 325 each.
S&S offers for 375;
Brand new (NOT REMAN) complete cylinder head for all 6.5's in C/K trucks, 92-00, including Suburbans and Tahoes, S or F engines, 92-00.

Our heads are the finest available on the market today. You will not find a better head at a better price! We use only the highest quality BRAND NEW castings, and American made BRAND NEW valves, springs and seals to produce heads of the highest quality. Our castings weigh 4# heavier the stock, as more metal is used to reinforce the weak areas associated with original equipment heads.

NO CORE OR EXCHANGE REQUIRED, THESE ARE BRAND NEW!

FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY, UNLIMITED MILEAGE!

Sold individually. Fits right or left hand banks.

Gaskets sold separately. New head bolts should be used as they are stretch to torque style and not designed to be re-used. They are sold separately in this category.

Restore full power to your 6.5 with SSDiesel Heads.

Also available at for all 6.5 equipped Vans, Hummer H1's and G/P cab/chassis trucks such as school buses, also sold on our website.

Also fits 6.2's! 1982's will need to use newer style injectors.

nitrohogg

nitro ******
Reaction score
ok, I read your post about yer older conversion, I'll stick with my stock cam!!!
anyway, thought I'd show ya my truck.......

Attachments

• DSC00090.JPG
    DSC00090.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 12

nitrohogg

nitro ******
Reaction score
it is alive!!

got my new 18:5.1 pistonies yesterday!!!!! Started her up after sittin for 8 months, drained the coolant so it wouldn't enter the #2 cylinder and blew the cobwebs outta her!! lots of steam coming out of the cooling system!! time ta pull the motor and get the bottom end done! first things first!! ;Sweet a pic of my home made PMD cooler, gonna move that outta the engine compartment, and a babe on my bike!!

Attachments

• DSC01697.JPG
    DSC01697.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC01699.JPG
    DSC01699.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC01693.JPG
    DSC01693.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC01700.JPG
    DSC01700.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC01701.JPG
    DSC01701.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC01696.JPG
    DSC01696.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC01627.JPG
    DSC01627.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 37

nitrohogg

nitro ******
Reaction score
more stuff.....brand new SS heads, SS marine injectors and install kit, SS high volume oil pump....fluidamper and head studs coming monday....

Attachments

• DSC01731.JPG
    DSC01731.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC01732.JPG
    DSC01732.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC01733.JPG
    DSC01733.JPG
    139 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC01734.JPG
    DSC01734.JPG