50psi hose for return lines?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
A $35 Delphi return hose in the kit from Autozone was cheap 3/16 50psi rubber hose. I didn't buy the kit.

Isn't that high pressure line, hence the braided cover?

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pressure in the return line is next to nothing... it's an open 5/16" line all the way downhill to the tanks. I think the cover is there more as abrasion/heat protection than actual reinforcement.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
The pressure in the return line is next to nothing... it's an open 5/16" line all the way downhill to the tanks. I think the cover is there more as abrasion/heat protection than actual reinforcement.

Huh. Well, I guess I'll go get some cheap fuel hose then. I kept the old braided from my F250 and its original caps. I used separate viton orings i had bought separately before i realized the ends of the hoses were cracking. So I have brand new orings from the bwd kit i bought 2 years ago. I just need hose since the E350 probably needs it too.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just make sure it's diesel-rated (which won't be quite as cheap). Gates' Green Stripe or Barricade should work, can be had at O'Reilly etc. That stuff is rated at 50 psi anyway :)

I'm using a piece of it to connect the left and right banks in front of the intake opening since adding the turbo.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
This is what Oreilly had. I had $5 off so yeah, under $6 for 6ft with tax.

You must be registered for see images attach

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That looks like the same stuff I used fyi. No problems that I've seen yet.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
I have used that clear braided 1/4"-5/16' hose from Lowes & Home Depot on two of my rigs for return lines for several yrs with no air intrusion or leaks. I also use it from fuel filter to nearly the IP so I can see any air. I just cut the steel line supplying the IP 3-4" from IP, clamped clear braided hose on. I like it because I can see any air if ever any is there anywhere.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
pressure should be below 1 psi on the return system, if it gets higher it can cause timing issues.

so yes, like mentioned, you just need diesel rated line like you have and you should be good to go.

lonnoid

Reaction score
I have a question, does anyone know how much fuel returns to the tank in the return lines? i.e. ounces/gallons per hour?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The ONLY place in our fuel systems that sees even close to 50PSI (stock) is between the injector pump and the injectors. Hence the steel lines.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I have a question, does anyone know how much fuel returns to the tank in the return lines? i.e. ounces/gallons per hour?

that is going to be a steady trickle, how much exactly is up in the air. depending on driving load and the age of the injectors. the more they are worn, the more they will pass though some fuel.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, the volume of fuel returned to the tank via the return lines is the same amount that your lift pump is rated for, minus: filter restriction, lift, fitting restrictions and whatever small amount the engine is using too.
Basically all the fuel not used by the injectors is returned via the return line coming out if the IP. Whatever comes out of the injectors themselves is very very little.
Of course a mechanical pump will have a varying fuel supply that rises with engine RPM, and with an epump it won't change much except it will lower slightly at WOT vs cruise since you're burning more fuel.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At idle, the pump is calibrated for 1 cc per stroke at 750 rpms. At that rpm That’s 100cc per second the pump will output in the injection lines, not a 100% of that goes to the cylinders, let’s say 30% of that goes out the return, so 70cc of fuel per second is being used by the engine at idle. So take a flow rating of the lift pump at idle, and subtract what the engine is using and you have your exact return flow.

Or as said in the other thread just unhook the main return line and take measurements in a graduated cylinder

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726