$5 Ram Air Intake?

Enginerd

Reaction score
I was at the local hardware/feed store on my lunchbreak and saw this gutter downspout. I noticed it looked a lot like the hypermax cowl induction I've been wanting. I just didn't want to pay $90 for it. This cost $5! I think it's worth a try. Is it best on the firewall? Fender? What has worked best for y'all? It says it'll go as long as 55" so I've got plenty to work with.
I've also been fooling lately with homemade baffles and inserts from scrap pieces to tame the straight pipes down without affecting flow too much. These pipes sound great talking to each other but it's just insane how loud it can be.

You must be registered for see images attach

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OE snorkel was already a cold and ram-air type intake, but I've heard good things about the hypermax on N/A. Definitely do not go into the fender, the reason cowl induction works is the high pressure air around the windshield. So get it plumbed into the spot hypermax suggests. Let us know how it goes!

Enginerd

Reaction score
I had just the air cleaner assembly when I got the truck, and I got the intake boot for free off a powerstroke to pull off the side a little more. It didn't do anything though for EGT's. I'll put it in the firewall this afternoon and see what happens

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pictures of process, location, etc, please!!!

Enginerd

Reaction score
Well it was a cool idea and cool looking until I went full throttle. I didn't realize how much air these pull even being NA. It imploded on me and I sent a nice thick cloud of smoke into the sky haha. It sounded good though hearing the motor through the cowl!

Enginerd

Reaction score
Sounds just like something I would do... Results and all!

My guess: when the plastic heated up, it got soft.

Thanks for posting!
You're exactly right. Plus it was sort of pinched at the firewall. I made a second go cutting off the square piece and shoving just the tube into the firewall and that collapsed too. The plastic gets squishy when it heats up. It's fine though just hanging over the master cylinder just as a cooler air intake. I did several hard pulls and it never collapsed

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
has anyone tried to plumb it to the driver side radiator supports? If he had tried using the stiff aluminum dryer hose it may have worked. Im trying to get my 7.3 more air... I have the factory set up but the snorkle tube is dryer vent hose. been thinking of adding a sprayer to cool the intake air down by using distilled water and alcohol... at this point anything helps

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was actually going to say that the stiff dryer hose is 4" and would not collapse. You've already got the hole in the firewall...do it...

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spectre makes a relatively cheap intake hose kit. Think you get 3-4 feet of 4 inch plus 2 couplers. Yes it can be cut. I ran some dryer hose for a while but it sure is flimsy. YMMV.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88