Getting the most out of my 6.9 on a very small budget

Dean J

Reaction score
I know this issue has been covered, but I really need to address every detail possible ASAP and have only been able to find bits and pieces by searching threads here and could really use some help.

I've had my '85 6.9 (2wd, reg. cab, C6) for a few years, in which I've run it from 97 to 108k miles. It purrs like a (very loud) kitten, starts well, and is pretty responsive around town but I have always wondered if it was running at 100% because it has seemed to be working pretty hard pulling nothing on the interstate. Yesterday I bought an old travel trailer, which is around 2 tons, and pulling it home I had the pedal pretty close to the floor to drive 55 with a 19mph side wind, slightly to the tail if anything. I bought it to gut and use to move to Arizona, in which case the camper would be 6-7,000 lbs. and I would have at least 1,000 lbs. on the truck and right now there's no way my truck will pull it through the mountains.

I don't make much so I will be struggling to pay for this move and have very little to put into the truck but I have to make it work somehow. What can I do to get more power out of it?

- Last year I added a 2.5" I/O turbo muffler and 3" pipe out the side.
- I know the Y-pipe sucks so I have been looking at them online.
- I adjusted the timing after I got it but should do that again because it seems like there was some kind of guessing or interpretation involved when I did it. I recently watched a youtube video on doing it and I'm not sure that I did it correctly.
- What's the best intake setup? Has anyone had luck with cowl induction?
- Tuning tips?
- New injectors? Paying for them would be tough, but if I need them I need them.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Play with the timing and see how it does.

Otherwise, well, these engines don't have a lot of power. Maby 125 at the wheels.

You want more than that? Find a turbo kit and install it - None of the little 'improvements' you've done will make much difference, really.
Stick a turbo on it and crank the fuel up a bit, keep the wastegate around 6-ish PSI or so to be safe.

Next thing to do is install headstuds, then you can crank the boost up all the way, and crank the fuel as far as you can - I see no reason you can't hit 180 at the wheels this way, or about 50% more power.
And it *really* makes a difference.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do u have a link to video u watched for timing?

How did you time it?

Do you have or did you use a timing meter or line clamp adapter for timing light?

Too many ?'s need answers to be able help u

See if there is a member local enough in timing registry who can help.

See about pop testing injectors.

R and D IDI performance has some good remans w new tips
Conestoga diesel has new as well
Typ4 has new too

But turbo would be best

JM7.3CW Eh!

Dean J

Reaction score
riotwarrior - I just don't remember what I did for the timing. Last week or so I just looked at the first couple youtube videos that came up. I will address this issue again.

Check throttle cable and injectors, will do.