4wd question

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
a friend of mine asked me about his 4wd problem.

he has an f250 1989, zf5 fwd.
he claims the truck will only run in 4hi.

what up? transfer case problem? I've never owned a 4wd truck so I'm not really the man to ask. figure I'd get a few ideas from yall so I can help him out when I go back home.

thanks
drew

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Thats really odd, i mean all my running idi's are 4x4 but i have never had any problems so far, and it seems odd that it would only pull in 4hi i would figure if it oulled in 4hi it would pull in everything else, does the 4x4 shift lever function properly?

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the problem that the detent in the shifter is rusted solid and he can't shift it over and down to 4Lo? Once it's in 4hi you have to move the shifter over before you can go back in Lo, if not it won't go.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive never had a problem with 4 lo. Mine wore the shaft that moved the shift place within the tcase. It would fall out of 4 hi when torque was applied. Would also do it in 2 hi occasionally. It would always go into 4 lo. I took the case apart and used washers that fit tightly on the shaft. They were place both inside and outside of the tcase. This tightened it up and has held fine for a couple of years so far.

zpd307

Reaction score
i am confused. is the problem that he cant get into 4lo, or he cant move in 2hi and 4lo. this cold is making my brain cloudy....

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
If he can get the 2hi position but has no motion there is a chance that the t-case is busted bad in the section after the chain (output shaft?) by dropping it in 4hi he may only have front wheel drive. Its not that hard to get the t-case in half while its still on the truck. It not very hard to remove either. They are fairly simple inside and it is most likely worth taking it apart and taking a look.
Ken

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
thanks ken. I was thinking it would be a chain problem (not being able to pull it out of 4hi) or something like that.

I really don't have many details as he's at home (and was drunk explaining this to me last night). When I get back on land I'll go check it out.
anyone know which transfer case this would be on an 89 f250 7.3 xcab with a zf5? I'll look up the case and see if I can't get a parts blowup.

thanks,
Drew

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin