4wd conversion

chinsmackers

Reaction score
i understand that converting my truck to 4wd is alot of work, but i have a couple of questions anyway.

i found an 89 bronco 150 4wd with a straight 6 and a 5 spd for peanuts and i was wondering if the parts would work for my conversion.

my thoughts are: the 150 front and rear end would not hold up to the idi's power but i wanted to ask here before i passed on a potentially good deal.

thanks,
ken

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the one to answeryour quetion about thebronceaxles handeling the IDI would be Mel/agnem.he is runningabronco with a 6.9 in it. ;Sweet

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I think he used the same axles but changed out the bronco springs for heavier stuff off an F250 or F350. I'm pretty sure he did front & back though.

aaklingler

Reaction score
I would leave the rear axle in the truck, you can use the front, usually when guys do a 4wd conversion they use a Dana 60 solid front axle, you would need to make you have the same axle ratios what ever you do and you still need a tranny and transfer case.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would pass. The axles are too light, and the transfer case would need the right adaptor to bolt to your transmission.

Better to find a 3/4 or 1 ton parts truck, preferably one with a straight front axle.