4spd to zf five speed and engine swap many questions

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so how hard is it to take a four speed truck and make it a five speed? How many hours are invested in this? I have all the zf crossmembers shifters pedals etc. Will i need to use the transfer case that came with the zf or can i use the one thats bolted to the 4 spd? Can i use the four speed's transmission tunnel cover with the five speed?

Will i need new drive shafts? I have the one from the f350 zf setup

Also will a van 6.9 fit where a truck 6.9 is if i use some of the stuff off the truck engine to make it work?

If i were to do and engine swap and the zf five speed swap how many hours would that take?

Also what usually is wrong when a tach gauge and rear tank fuel gauge dont work? Hours to fix?

Any thing else i am missing?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so how hard is it to take a four speed truck and make it a five speed? How many hours are invested in this? I have all the zf crossmembers shifters pedals etc. Will i need to use the transfer case that came with the zf or can i use the one thats bolted to the 4 spd? Can i use the four speed's transmission tunnel cover with the five speed?
You can use the 13-45 transfer case with the ZF; in fact, IMHO it's easier that way, since this means you won't need to do any driveshaft modifications and you can reuse the same U-joints. The transmission tunnel cover from the T-19 will not fit around the ZF as it sits. It might be possible to bend it into shape with a BFH, but IMHO it would be much easier to use one meant for a ZF. Take a look at the attached pictures to see the difference between the two. You do NOT need to replace the pedal assembly or the clutch hydraulics. In fact, (assuming you have an '80-'86 truck and the pedal assembly came out of an '87-'91 truck) you actually won't be able to use the pedal assembly that you pulled out. I don't know if the 13-56 transfer case shift lever will work with the 13-45, but if you reuse the shift lever assembly from the 13-45, you'll need to cut a hole in the ZF transmission tunnel cover. Not a big deal, but still needs to be done.

Will i need new drive shafts? I have the one from the f350 zf setup
If you reuse the 13-45 transfer case, you do NOT need new driveshafts. The 4x4 ZF is even the same length as the 4x4 T-19.

Also will a van 6.9 fit where a truck 6.9 is if i use some of the stuff off the truck engine to make it work?
Yes, it will. You'll need to move the oil cooler and one of the exhaust manifolds over (I don't remember off the top of my head which one), but IIRC there's nothing else that NEEDS to be done. The fuel filter's located in a different spot on the van, but you can leave it there if you want.

If i were to do and engine swap and the zf five speed swap how many hours would that take?
Not sure on time...I've never done an engine swap, but the T-19/ZF swap can probably be done in a solid day of working. Mine was done by a friend of mine on his college auto shop rack over the course of two days.

Also what usually is wrong when a tach gauge and rear tank fuel gauge dont work? Hours to fix?
Probably sending units in both cases. The tach gauge sender's a simple job; you could probably have it done in 10 minutes or so. The sender's on the IP drive gear cover near the oil filler pipe. The rear tank fuel gauge's another story....you'll either need to drop the rear fuel tank or pull the bed. I don't know for sure how long it'll take to fix, but it'll take quite a while.

Any thing else i am missing?
I think you've got your bases covered, although I'll probably remember something 5 minutes after posting this, or someone else will remember something I forgot ;)

One thing....what are you doing about your clutch? Are you getting an SMF, or doing a DMF with a Lucky mod, or taking your chances with a "normal" DMF? Also, I would recommend a Kevlar pilot bushing over a metal pilot bearing...it'll last a long longer. Well worth the $30 IMHO.

Hope this helps some...good luck!

Attachments

• pan1.jpg
    pan1.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 7
  • pan2.jpg
    pan2.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 4
  • pan3.jpg
    pan3.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 5
  • pan4.jpg
    pan4.jpg
    428.4 KB · Views: 3
  • pan6.jpg
    pan6.jpg
    484.3 KB · Views: 5

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow great info. Did you make that zf tranny cover? Is there a place that those can be bought for a decent price since i just sold mine(brain fart)?

About the clutch i dont know what the truck has on it right now weather my donor was a dmf or smf, is there a way to tell with the tranny/ engine still mated together?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you make that zf tranny cover? Is there a place that those can be bought for a decent price since i just sold mine(brain fart)?
No, I didn't...I got mine off a truck that was being parted out. If you can't get one off the donor truck, I would suggest going to a junkyard and finding one. The cover doesn't have to be off a diesel...and, for that matter, I suspect that a cover from a truck with an automatic would also work, and you'll just need to cut a hole for the shift lever. I don't know for sure, though; never taken a close look at a truck with an automatic. But, considering that most autos are more bulky than most manuals, I think it could be done.

I don't know if the cover can be purchased new or not. If you can get it new, it would be from the dealer and would cost a pretty penny. I would recommend a junkyard, or maybe someone on here has one for sale?

About the clutch i dont know what the truck has on it right now weather my donor was a dmf or smf, is there a way to tell with the tranny/ engine still mated together?
I can't say for sure, as I've never dealt with a DMF. I bought my tranny long after it had been pulled out of a truck, and I shelled out the $$ for a LuK SMF kit...and haven't had a single regret. IMHO unless you're on a shoestring budget or you've got proof that the clutch was replaced recently, I would just replace all of the clutch components as part of the swap. This way you won't hae to replace it anytime soon, and you can choose which route to go. But, that's just my opinion :)

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so What is the cheapest place to buy the new single mass kit? Part numbers?

Does anyone have some pics/ instructions on how to change over the coolers?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so What is the cheapest place to buy the new single mass kit? Part numbers?
If I'm reading their site correctly (they changed some things around), the LuK part number is 07-131FW (there's also the kit without the flywheel, which is p/n 07-131). IIRC people have found it at Napa Auto Parts, but I don't know where else you can buy it at a retail store. I bought mine from www.dialaclutch.com and would recommend against ordering it online if you can find it locally. Shipping was almost $150 because the flywheel's so bloody heavy :shocked:

I also got the Kevlar pilot pushing from the same website, but looking there now, I don't see it listed. You might give them a call, since the site says that they're currently rebuilding their online catalog. I don't have the part number, unfortunately.

Does anyone have some pics/ instructions on how to change over the coolers?
Don't have any pics or instructions myself; hopefully someone else will chime in. If memroy serves, yaric008 was the one who most thoroughly researched the differences, but my memory leaves some to be desired ;)

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
great, thats good to know i will have to look into it. So does the new complete luk kit with the new flywheel clutch pack etc etc?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, it comes with the flywheel (again, there's a kit that DOESN'T include the flywheel; make sure you get the right one), clutch assembly, installation tool, metal pilot bearing, and throwout bearing. You'll need a release fork, unless you're getting one with the ZF, because the throwout bearing on the ZF is wider than the T-19's. And, again, I'd recommend throwing the metal pilot bearing away and getting the Kevlar pilot bushing instead, if you can source it...