4r100 tranny Info please

DMcV

Reaction score
I will be upgrading my tranny and TC soon but because I am 'no' mechanic I seek some advice.
During a first trip last weekend towing our 5th wheel I treated the tranny carefully not wanting to over heat or stress it. On a few long grades the speed droped well below the posted limit and I allowed the tranny to do all the shifting up & down. I have talked to my local tranny shop (where I will be getting the work done) and he told me to not push it until I get a better TC and possibly what ever is needed to rebuilt in the tranny. Then I could push it as much as I wanted.
My question is... are there TC's that lock up in each gear as the tranny shifts and is it good or not for towing? ...or just the single lock up like the stock, which I don't like ?
Look forward to any iadvice.
Thank you
Dennis

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Converter lock up is a programmed function. Depending on the PCM code the converter will lock around 35 ish MPH. 3rd and 4th gear. If you want the converter to lock at a different shift point, you will need a chip or a programmer.

As for the converter, go with a good multi disk unit. More is better, specially for towing. Have your tranny guy change the lock up regulator spring. Another change that can be made is the PMW valve. This is a 4R100 thing. Makes the converter lock up smooth (mushy). Back dating this part to the E4OD lock up valve will save the converter by not allowing it to slip for a long time.

For a decent priced excellent converter check this guy out.;Sweet
www.racerxusa.com

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 4R100 is a tough tranny, much more so than the E4OD. I've pulled 15,000# loads with no problems,from Reno NV to St. Paul MN, lot's of mountain climbing, even with the OD switch broke off so I had to let it in OD all the time and do it's own shifting.
You don't and can't lock up in 1st and 2nd with any mod. A lock up mod is only good for braking down to 40 MPH, than it's ineffective. OD will stayed locked up down to about 32 MPH providing you don't put the brakes on without the mod. If you do rebuild your tranny, make sure they install a tugger kit in it. As far as TC's go, there are numerous ones on the market. I know of one tranny rebuild shop that uses only "Precision" torque convertors. I bought one of these myself when I thought I needed one, on the shelf just in case.

http://www.converter.com/diesel_truck.htm

DMcV

Reaction score
Thanks OldBull8,
Can anyone explain to me the pros and cons of multi (3) disc TC over 2 disc TC.
If it means 'harder firmer' shifts don't think I want that, or should I say the co-pilot (wife) wouldn't like it, geeezee.... I was lucky enough to get the sound deading down to an acceptable level :)
Look forward to any input
Dennis

RenoF250

Reaction score
Thanks OldBull8,
Can anyone explain to me the pros and cons of multi (3) disc TC over 2 disc TC.
If it means 'harder firmer' shifts don't think I want that, or should I say the co-pilot (wife) wouldn't like it, geeezee.... I was lucky enough to get the sound deading down to an acceptable level :)
Look forward to any input
Dennis

a 3 disc with have ~50% more friction area. It could lock faster but that can be programmed.

I just had mine rebuilt. Tugger kit and some other upgrades along with a stronger TC. I talked to the tranny guy and told him I did not want harsh shifts. He agreed - much better for the clutches to take the shock and the u-joints, gears etc. Anyhow, he set it up so it is smoother than stock. Actually a little too smooth for me, lock up takes a bit too long.

DMcV

Reaction score
Thanks RenoF250
What speed does it lock up at now?
So ....excuse my lack of knowledge.... more friction area (3 discs) is a good thing ?
Dennis

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
The 4R lock up is around 35 MPH. give or take a little. Remember when it comes to converters bigger is better. More frictions will take more stress.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4R will shift @ 36 MPH, I usually run it up to 40 let up on the pedal for a second let it shift into OD, plenty of power even towing a load, just a little slow up to 60 but sure saves on fuel.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
h2odrx,

The 4R100 is behind the 7.3PSD's. One thing is, the TCM is not a standalone unit like it was on the IDI. It is controlled by the PCM. There is no FIPL signal or the like. You would have to use a standalone controller, like a Bauman unit. I think it may bolt up, but at this point, that is the easy part.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
h2odrx,

The 4R100 is behind the 7.3PSD's. One thing is, the TCM is not a standalone unit like it was on the IDI. It is controlled by the PCM. There is no FIPL signal or the like. You would have to use a standalone controller, like a Bauman unit. I think it may bolt up, but at this point, that is the easy part.
so a 97 swap would be doable?

E40D was up till 97 99.+ got 4r100s
So what is the advantages?

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
You can swap the 4R100 for the E4OD. You will need to do the following. Ignore the Turbine Speed Sensor and Output Shaft Speed sensor. Two sensors on the top of the tranny. You will need to change the solenoid pack to pre 98.The 4R100 uses a PWM valve to smooth the converter lock up. This valve is controlled through the solenoid pack. Your 97 pack is what will be needed. The PWM in the pump should be changed to the early lock up valve. (TransGo4R100 LU)

You can use any six stud converter. The E4OD and 4R100 use the same converter.

The 4R100 has some major upgrades over the E4OD. It can handle more torque than the E4OD because of the internal improvements.:thumbsup:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle