Bolt found in c6 tranny pan during fluid change.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The C-6 you have is going to take 12-13 quarts to be able to run if you drained the pan, drained the torque convertor, and flushed and blew out the cooler and lines...

...if that unit has the 4x4 pan and filter with the short tube pickup it will take a quart or so more.

There were three pans available for the C-6...the early short pan, the later deeper pan and the 4x4 pan. Each pan used a unique filter to pick up fluid from the bottom of the sump.

Put a short filter on a deep pan..? Cavitation problems assuming you have enough fluid.

Put a tall filter on a short pan..? Tough to do but you might get it bolted up with a bulge and then you will have starvation problems.

Wrong filter on a 4x4 pan..? Been done before and they usually wind up at the transmission shop...after a lot of head scratching.

The C-6 you are looking at..(the monster unit) will not run unless it has 12-13 quarts of fluid in it....

and...if it is a truck unit and has the original linkage it probably will not work with your van's manual linkage...the geometry will not mate up correctly...Ford seemed to create a new linkage lever for every model they offered with different lever ratios. It had to do with the shift lever in the driver compartment and the linkage needed to get from the shifter to the transmission.

Try that and it will not end well if you use the wrong lever for your application.

The unit will work if you put the right lever in it but that opens a new can of worms for you if you do...

Right now you should see if you can put enough fluid in the unit you have...

Lay down a tarp or a big sheet of cardboard or a huge drain pan under the truck and see to it that your unit gets 12-13 quarts of fluid in it.
a guy told me years ago, that a C6 won't go into gear, or will have a lot of trouble going into gear if it's 3 quarts low on fluid. I don't think that you have enough fluid in your transmission, but I don't know how much you've put in.

It seems like it used to take around 12 quarts of fluid for a rebuilt, dry C6.

Make sure that the drain plug is back in the torque convertor...and fill that puppy up while the engine is running in with the shift lever in "N"....parking brake applied...of course....wheels blocked...etc.,etc.,etc.,

!2-13 quarts of fluid...
Just dropping the pan should be 5 quarts, draining the torque converter is close to another 2 gallons. Check your fluid level.
Just make sure you have enough fluid in the thing before you go any further...

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you only put 1 gallon in an empty transmission. It doesn't have enough fluid to work
You said that you put one gallon of fluid in. Then you were shocked because you filled it up a little more, not by much, and it still won't go into gear.
I don't think that you have enough fluid in your transmission,
It seems like it used to take around 12 quarts of fluid for a rebuilt, dry C6.

Just dropping the pan should be 5 quarts, draining the torque converter is close to another 2 gallons. Check your fluid level.
I think that we have a consensus here...finish filling the unit and then test it.

5 oclock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amazing feedback from everyone it has been super helpful

Finished filling it (I think) just about the top of the hatch. It will move and drive around, but it slips in first. It will take off but upon throttle it doesn’t want to get up to speed as it usually would. Now that I understand the truck trans won’t work, I really don’t want to spend the dollars on a rebuild. Oh well… is what it is.

Im going to fill it up a little more and make sure I’m not leaving a stone unturned. Maybe it’s still low. It’s so damn hard to read that stick with new fluid.

I always had the feeling trans additives are bunk?

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That all depends on what is causing the slipping. If it is worn clutches then then no additives won't do much. If it is sticky valves or governor then a product such as "transX" could possibly be helpful.

James

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86