Bolt found in c6 tranny pan during fluid change.

5 oclock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What the best way to flush the cooler itself?

Maybe sand was dramatic more so dust. Still it was silver after dumping out the Tran fluid.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
When I worked on these for a living, I would first blow all of the old fluid out of the lines that would come out with air. Next I'd take a gallon of new, clean solvent and dump half of it into a coffee can (or other clean container). I'd hook an inline electric fuel pump up to one transmission line with some rubber hose. Be sure to put an inline filter before the pump. I'd attach another rubber hose to the other line and have it dump back into the can. Let the pump run for about 30 minutes. After that, dump out the dirty solvent, pour the rest of the clean solvent into the can, switch the rubber hoses around on the lines to pump the solvent the other direction, and repeat for another 30 minutes or so. After that, blow all of the solvent that you can out of the lines and then you're ready to add clean fluid. When you blow out the lines, don't use a high pressure, just a large volume. The biggest reason to not use full line air pressure is to help cur down on the mess.

5 oclock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks IDI!! does this include leaving the hoses connected to the radiator cooler?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Yes. You're flushing the lines and cooler at the same time. You want to flush in both directions just in case there's something that wants to hang up. More in the cooler than in the lines. I've seen products that are sold in aerosol cans. I even knew a guy who worked at a transmission rebuild shop who recommended it. From what little I've seen, it sure wasn't 100% reliable. I know of a couple of transmissions that had issues after using the aerosol can stuff.
If you want, you can let it all set for a day or two to help let the remaining solvent evaporate out. That may not work very well in the winter time though. We never did that, but it wouldn't hurt.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
One more add. I always did this at the transmission ends of the lines. You want to flush the entire cooling system and this is the way to do both lines and cooler at the same time.

5 oclock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bolt in the pan was the longer bolt and the last owner had it mis sequenced. THANKS @XOLATEM . Nothing is stripped and everything went back in

@IDIBRONCO ok so regretfully I didn't take on your method. Well...partially after reading your first post.

Unfortunately didn't see your follow up responses till now SMH, my fault. I did blow the lines out both directions and I used a can of cooler keen each direction (cooler connected). Blew that out. Let it sit and evaporate for 2 days with decent heat. Hooked it all back up.. Refilled with Castrol Transmax dex/merc.

#1. I filled two much all at one time after reading more that it should be little by little

#2. I filled it with 1 gallon. Could be too much, but I did drain the lines and torque converter. Additionally I have read the dip and it didn't seem out of wack.

Yet, now there is no shift at all r,d,1,2?? have not messed with the VRV, from what I gather it wouldn't be the vrv anyway. I am not going to vouch for cooler keen, but I find it hard to believe it would cause the transmission to now doing nothing at all?

Last edited:

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just dropping the pan should be 5 quarts, draining the torque converter is close to another 2 gallons. Check your fluid level.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably so, I was thinking about my E4od. But if he only added a gallon he’s low.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't remember what transmission you said you have but if you only put 1 gallon in an empty transmission. It doesn't have enough fluid to work. I just filled up the transmission in the f150 I am currently working on. It has an AOD which took 3 gallons to fill up, and I know it still had some fluid in it because I spilled it all over the shop moving it around.

James

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate when that happens....

I reckon if you don't spill a little fluid, you ain't doing any work.

Still...it is a hassel...hastle...(how do you spell 'hassell')..?

It is a problem to get it all up and not track it everywhere...

I got in the habit of tipping up units to drain them but I wound up having to repair a lot of drain pans...the output shaft end is not too forgiving and tended to cut a pan...put a neat little eyebrow in 'em.

I suppose it is just our destiny to buy oil-dry and wear out brooms.

5 oclock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I filled it up more. Not by much… still absolutely nothing. Shift through the gears. Car stays parked.

Fluid is getting up to the cooler. No leaks anywhere that I can see.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
In my opinion, what you should do is to find a service manual or even call a transmission shop and find out how much fluid it takes for a dry C6 transmission. You said that you put one gallon of fluid in. Then you were shocked because you filled it up a little more, not by much, and it still won't go into gear. I'm not going to vouch for the accuracy of this, but a guy told me years ago, that a C6 won't go into gear, or will have a lot of trouble going into gear if it's 3 quarts low on fluid. I don't think that you have enough fluid in your transmission, but I don't know how much you've put in. That is why I recommend that you find out how much it takes before you just dump a bunch more in thinking that will solve your problem. Once you can find out how much it takes, then you can figure out if you need more and how much. We can only guess at this until you can let us know whether or not you gave enough fluid in your transmission.

5 oclock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear you. I’ll call around tomorrow my guess is the tranny is done. Here is a back up question. I have a brand new monster transmission originally slated for my 87 f350 build. Can anyone vouch that an 87 f350 c6 will fit an 87 E350?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online