4" exhaust kits

international

Drownin' in diesel
Reaction score
sounds like crap!

I have a 3" straight pipe coming from the Y pipe from the headers, no turbo, and it sounds terrible! It sounds like a loud gasser!:puke:I wonder if a turbo will help the sound? 2500-3000 rpm is deafening. I'm dissapointed. -cuss

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A turbo will act as somewhat of a muffler to break up the exhaust noise, and it will really add a nice whistle when you load it.

Last edited:

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
So what is the ideal pipe size for a good deep tone and power?I do understand that a tip makes a difference in tone as well.......I want a deep tone but don't want to lose any power....if anything gain some low end.

kpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep turbo will quiet down exhaust noises quite a bit. My brother has a E-350 N/A with one muffler and it's still way more noisier than mine with straight exhaust....

1994IDI

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if the WLK 54387 tailpipe exits at a 45 degree or does it make a full 90 like the factory tailpipe? Pictures would be great.

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i ordered some stuff yesterday for my exhaust, i ordered a 3.5-4 transition, a 90 short radius 90 in 4 inch and a 45. i will order the 4 inch tubing later. i want to eventually go to a 5inch single stack. but right now i have to fab up stuff for my new turbo.

i forgot to mention that my turbo has a 3.5 inch vband.

Last edited:

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
so everyone without a turbo what are you doing with the stock y pipe? I want to go 4" but what do you do to either transition from the little y pipe?

international

Drownin' in diesel
Reaction score
so everyone without a turbo what are you doing with the stock y pipe? I want to go 4" but what do you do to either transition from the little y pipe?

Cut the Y far enough up so you can weld on the 3" or 4". You will have to bend the pipes a bit to get a good fit. I don't see much sense in going from both manifolds to a Y pipe that is only 2 1/2" then bumping back up to 3" or 4".

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah a straight pipe or even a free flowing muffler IDI sounds an awful lot like a BBL gasser when loaded down at higher rpms. Definitely sounds much better with the turbo and you are not getting all you can out of your turbo mod if you have anything close to a factory exhaust on there. I had 3" all the way back through a free flowing muffler and when I cut all that crap out and went with the 4" straight pipe MAN what a difference. Not that much in boost unless you really get on it but much more responsive by the old butt-o-meter. Better whistle from the turbo and less "cackle" a V8 is always going to sound like that some, really mine sounds a lot like an old diesel log truck I think.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe now would be a good time to upload pictures? Anyone interested?

Edit:

Images

You must be registered for see images attach

If anyone wants anything different ill post...

Last edited:

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Maybe now would be a good time to upload pictures? Anyone interested?

Edit:

Images

If anyone wants anything different ill post...

take pics of your hole exaust system im interested, and you have a nice truck;Sweet

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a ton of pics...

I still need to get an updated y-pipe so i can run 3inch to the muffler... But it helped a lot just getting rid of the stock muffler.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I have a ton of pics...

I still need to get an updated y-pipe so i can run 3inch to the muffler... But it helped a lot just getting rid of the stock muffler.

yea stovk muffler is very restrictive

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online