3G swap

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im about done doing my 3g swap and was wanting to know from someone whos done it if there's anyway to make the factory ammeter work with the new alternator? I think i probably hooked something up wrong, just like to know if it is possible to make it work, thanks.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im about done doing my 3g swap and was wanting to know from someone whos done it if there's anyway to make the factory ammeter work with the new alternator? I think i probably hooked something up wrong, just like to know if it is possible to make it work, thanks.

Are you referring to Ammeter or Voltage gauge?

Yes to voltage gauge....and if it isn't working correctly then it's not correctly connected.

I did this in my Bronco and wow...made huge difference....cannot wait to do this to white rhino!

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ammeter, it charges great, 14.7 at idle with lights and blower on high. But now my ammeter always shows discharge.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can't use the factory ammeter with the larger alternator. It used a component in the old smaller charge wiring called a shunt, to get a reading on the charge to the battery. With the new higher output alternator, all the old stuff is way too small. You would have to funnel the output of the new alternator through the old undersized wiring that contained the shunt. You would not realize the benefit of the new alternator if you used the smaller wire.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check clasic mustang forums they have the same issue and some of my customers at work have came up with a solution but idr what it was

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sweet glad to see its working can we ask what you did

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Basically just found the other lead going to the ammeter. One is a yellow/black wire and the other one is a red/orange wire. Once I had them located I put one on the charge post of the alternator and cleaned off a spot on the charge wire down by the starter solenoid. Once i had the insulation peeled back enough i soldered the wire into the charge wire, taped it up, put it in loom and done.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726