3G in 94 F-250 or 93 F350?

royzell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm looking at a 3G conversion for my truck.
I found someone parting out an F250 94 diesel. Does this truck have the 3G ?
I also found a '93 F350 diesel being parted out, would it have the 3G ?

Thanks

sassyrel

Reaction score
believe they changed in late 92--and those two would have it--

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both the '93 and the '94 truck will have a 3G alternator, the bad news is that you can't use neither - the '92-'94 models have serpentine belts, and the serpentine belt alternator brackets are way way different from what you have. Check out this pic from RJM Injection Tech:
You must be registered for see images

The alternator in the middle (side-mount) is the one for the '92-'94 IDIs, what you need is the alt on the right side (8.25" pivot mount), which can be found in early- to mid-'90s Taurii with the 3.8L V6 engine. However, if you do find one, make darn sure the distance between its mounting bolts holes is indeed 8-1/4", as there are those select few 3.8 engines that had the small-frame 3G that has 7" distance between the holes (in the pic above that's the alt in the left side).

sootman73

Reaction score
i had no idea that the 92-94's had the 3g. what is the rating of that alternator then? and why is it preferred? must have over looked this as i have never had any complaints in the electrical dept...

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im just asking a question about the two alts, one being a 7" and the other being a 8.25". why come you cant use the 7" on our trucks? the top adjustment bracket on the alts can be loosened and pushed down enough to be used cant they.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had no idea that the 92-94's had the 3g. what is the rating of that alternator then? and why is it preferred? must have over looked this as i have never had any complaints in the electrical dept...
It's a 130-amp alternator, these things are really all the same on the inside, just the cases are different.

im just asking a question about the two alts, one being a 7" and the other being a 8.25". why come you cant use the 7" on our trucks? the top adjustment bracket on the alts can be loosened and pushed down enough to be used cant they.
Theoretically yes, you can use a 7" alt on out trucks and loosen and move the bracket down to where it meets its top bolt hole, however unless the alt is near the outboard end of the adjustment slot of the bracket it is possible for the bracket to kinda jam against the raised part of the alternator case's front face (these cooling vents all around its perimeter)... If you have a 7" alt by all means try it, would be nice if we have another 3G option.