38 gallon fuel tank conversion woes

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s some random install pics on my phone, I like to use long carriage bolts and tack weld them at the top so it’s easy to remove in the future
You must be registered for see images attach

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is the tank I used and had all the same problems, but i had read of other people having those issues so i was expecting them. I cut new slots for the tabs and used fuel hose and brass fittings to extend the pick up. I also went to the hardware store and bought a brass rod to make a longer arm for the float. I bent it exactly the same as the old one, just longer in the middle. Then i set the pick up in place and looked in the fill hole and made some final adjustments to it. it works great. Overall I love the tank, but baffles would be nice because once you get down to around a quarter tank it really sloshes back and forth to the point where it makes the gauge move around a lot.

I followed this write up pretty closely along with research on here and it all went pretty smooth.
http://www.rosewooddieselshop.com/DZLJIM/Ford/38gallonOBStank.htm

Oldiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is all new to me, ive been thinking the larger rear tank would be nice. I thought I could just buy a new tank, sender, straps,, etc etc. Is this not correct?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is all new to me, ive been thinking the larger rear tank would be nice. I thought I could just buy a new tank, sender, straps,, etc etc. Is this not correct?

A lot of the aftermarket stuff is not plug and play and requires some fiddling to get it to work, just like this oversize tank does. At least you have people who have been through it and have documented what it takes to get it done.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is the tank I used and had all the same problems, but i had read of other people having those issues so i was expecting them. I cut new slots for the tabs and used fuel hose and brass fittings to extend the pick up. I also went to the hardware store and bought a brass rod to make a longer arm for the float. I bent it exactly the same as the old one, just longer in the middle. Then i set the pick up in place and looked in the fill hole and made some final adjustments to it. it works great. Overall I love the tank, but baffles would be nice because once you get down to around a quarter tank it really sloshes back and forth to the point where it makes the gauge move around a lot.

I followed this write up pretty closely along with research on here and it all went pretty smooth.
http://www.rosewooddieselshop.com/DZLJIM/Ford/38gallonOBStank.htm
That's an excellent resource for any of us looking to do the conversion. I also did this mod a few years ago and could have done it better, but it works well for me.
Make sure to use lock nuts or blue thread locker on the skid plate nuts! I had a "normal" nut work itself off while I was at freeway speed... doh. Sparks!

But yeah for the OP this mod is converting a Bronco tank to our Diesel pickups...not perfectly plug and play but close enough to work with some ingenuity. And 3 gallons of fuel is effectively empty with a tank this big and no sump or baffles. On my best days I've put 36 gallons into my 38 gallon tank but that was literally running it out of fuel like a goober and having to pull over and re-prime the engine cause I switched tanks too late.

Kevo1288

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't delete my front tank yet, but plan on it. Just ran into so many snags with this tank so I said screw it. Anyone know if the sender on the front tank is the same? Like if I am removing it from my truck anyways can I just put that in to fix my issues with my rear sender?

Mike Gallegos

Reaction score
Wespaul,

Should it be assume that the TREX sending unit takes care of the QUARTER TANK FORD ISSUE of no fuel pick up?

if so, am I better to spend the money on the tank and sending unit they provide so as to not be in the troubles of fitting one to the other?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin