38 gallon fuel tank conversion woes

Kevo1288

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so for the price the kit was great however the spacers and bolts were too short , had to make my own. The directions to modify the fuel sender totally screwed me as they weren’t for that fuel hat.

I ended up using push lok for my pick up tube and angle cutting the end. I then modified and the return Per the instructions. It was a mess needless to say so then I installed it with the new gasket new lock ring.

I fire her up let it idle and she runs awesome. Go to back out of the tire and boom tire catches a lift arm (my spotter wasn’t doing his job) and I blow a tire.

Then I notice my fuel gauge is pegged past full and I have three gallons in the 38 gallon tank.

Wtfff...

Go to get the truck home, it would drive for five minutes then die. Not enough fuel in the tank and it sloshing around is causing it to run out of fuel? I never bleed the hardliners cuz I didn’t think it would be an issue I did bleed the filter at the motor every time it died on me tho.

So today I’m gunna go back n put 8 gallons in and hope that solves it. All in all it sucks I dno how something so simple could have been such a **** show.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if you got the kit for a different year. That would explain 90% of your problems.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the kit i got was extremely simple and everything bolted together fine. mine came with copper tubes to extend the pickups but i think i did my own thing anyway.

Kevo1288

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also had to rotate my fuel hat 180* to get it to fit.... the tabs were completely opposite.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, F26E is supposed to be the right one. I wonder if they sent you the wrong part/s?

I did come across someone else who had issues with the notches/tab alignment, so they cut new ones.

You must be registered for see images attach

Kevo1288

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, F26E is supposed to be the right one. I wonder if they sent you the wrong part/s?

I did come across someone else who had issues with the notches/tab alignment, so they cut new ones.

That is exactly what I would have to do but being in a time constraint I just installed it backwards … ugh

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the top of your tank angled like the picture above? If so, turning the sending unit around backwards would be the wrong thing to do I would think. The sending unit should be made to mount at that particular angle.

I hate do-overs, but I have to do them all the time. This might be a do-over.

Kevo1288

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the top of your tank angled like the picture above? If so, turning the sending unit around backwards would be the wrong thing to do I would think. The sending unit should be made to mount at that particular angle.

I hate do-overs, but I have to do them all the time. This might be a do-over.

Yes you are right, do overs suck! and this is def going to be a do over.. which means I need to remodify the lengths on the tubes going into the tank since I made them with push lock, no big deal. Just very aggravating.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i got some pictures from my build i never posted. ill post them up and hopefully they can help.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score