86ford69

86 Ford F250 6.9
Reaction score
Ive been messing around and trying to decide what to put in place of my 6.9 I like the old Ferd 6.6 but what about a 6v71 or a 3208! I bet that Cat would be really crazy. I'm leaning a lil more towards the 71 tho just cus I know where to get one. What y'all think?

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
Well the 4-71 weighs like 1800lbs or something. So the 6V-71 has gotta be over 2K. I have tossed around the idea as well. If you do the 3208 then make it a thread with lots of pics and some video. I am gonna be doing a DT-360 myself. And start looking for tranny options. The Allison 545 which I have been seeing around a lot for sale is not a good choice. Apparently there is no OD and they cant hold that much power. You will need something closer to a Allison 1000 (which has been made in non-GM spec bell-housing). Or keep it simple with a manual. Also you will need to start looking at divorced transfer cases as well, unless you do something like a 5R100, which should be feasible. I know that for the DT-360 I will be getting a custom bell-housing from Pipewhiner (guy on another forum) for a 5R100/110. So just thinking points from me.

sassyrel

Reaction score
that cat 3208 aint no lighweight either--------youd be putting a bunch of tooooo much weight on the front axle--i know--its been done--but thats wayyyy more than what is is designed for-- the idi fully dressed,,is 1200 lbs--ive weighed it--

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea the 3208 has been done in a 70's vintage truck, and maybe some others. If your going to repower because you want more HP, don't forget to take into consideration the cost of parts and upkeep. If you need a P Pump for something like a Cummins, well... you can buy a whole IDI truck for that kind of money. Just because you may fall into a motor and think "Well I've got this motor, I'll just put it in", that's sort of like buying a Yacht and going for a cruise, THEN finding out how much it cost to fill the tank.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure of the longevity of a 3208 in a truck application but I know I've changed alot of headgaskets on them when installed in motorhomes after about 70k. So far everyone I did heads on have been right around that number.

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
The Allison AT545 would be plenty stong enough for a Pickup truck application. It is stronger than A 5R100 or an Allison 1000. It's only drawback is that is does not have A Lockup Torque Converter and Overdrive.

Well the 4-71 weighs like 1800lbs or something. So the 6V-71 has gotta be over 2K. I have tossed around the idea as well. If you do the 3208 then make it a thread with lots of pics and some video. I am gonna be doing a DT-360 myself. And start looking for tranny options. The Allison 545 which I have been seeing around a lot for sale is not a good choice. Apparently there is no OD and they cant hold that much power. You will need something closer to a Allison 1000 (which has been made in non-GM spec bell-housing). Or keep it simple with a manual. Also you will need to start looking at divorced transfer cases as well, unless you do something like a 5R100, which should be feasible. I know that for the DT-360 I will be getting a custom bell-housing from Pipewhiner (guy on another forum) for a 5R100/110. So just thinking points from me.

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
Everything I have read about the 545 says it can only handle about 245hp. And a slightly modded DT-360 or 3208 will surpass that easily. Also I have found places that can mod the 545 but the price for what you get isn't worth it, as it only holds a little more than stock at that point. Not to mention Allisons have to defuel before shifting, which just adds more complexity.

BlueOvalBud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With any heavier engine, you should go to a Dana 60 straight axle up front with LOTS of leaf springs to support the weight.
I'm a TTB fan, but I don't think it's gonna like all that weight on top of it....

86ford69

86 Ford F250 6.9
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I'll try to find something a lil bit lighter. Also I want to keep it a manual and gotta keep the four wheel drive. Its not really big powe I'm looking for but more on the longevity factor. The truck is in good shape as it spent 24 yes in Fl. There is no rust and the frame and all is in good shape. The only small dents are from me out playing. I can get a 2 wheel drive one ton with the 7.3 and zf5 for $750. My motors not in terribly bad shape but it's eating oil like crazy and now smoking like crazy. It still starts good and drives pretty good. I'm just throbbing some ideas around.

BlueOvalBud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A well-maintained IDI will last 300k miles or more.
Poorly maintained IDI, not as much...more equivalent to a gasser.
And a replacement used IDI is a cheap option also.

86ford69

86 Ford F250 6.9
Reaction score
I'm pushing 300,000 now and starting to have few issues. Mainly the oil consumption. I could use new injectors and ip re worked. Other than this thing runs good and pulls hard.

BlueOvalBud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pushing 300,000 now and starting to have few issues. Mainly the oil consumption. I could use new injectors and ip re worked. Other than this thing runs good and pulls hard.

As my buddy used to say: "Go to the gas station to fill up on gas and fill up on oil".
He bought oil by the case and kept it in the trunk of his car. But hey, it ran good! LOL

86ford69

86 Ford F250 6.9
Reaction score
That's the way mine is. But if it go out wheeling for two hrs or donor eats two quarts of oil.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the 3208 could be done. But is is big and heavy. I know in the 70's before any pickup had a diesel option. Cat had a kit, that through an authorized dealer, bring in your pickup, they would remove the gas powerplant and replace it with a 3208. I have heard of a couple around my area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online