3208 In-line Pump Conversion for the IDI

ShadetreeV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Meant to be , absolutely. This is the p-pump of the idi world if I may say so.
I would avoid any welding whatsoever on that gear though. The adapter hub is a fantastic idea especially if indexable, but only if you can manage a press fit adapter or a class 3a threaded fitment. Welding cast my experience does some wierd things to the metallurgy, and the only semi reliable method ive seen for filling gaps without sacrificing tolerances to crazy mounts of heat is lock -n-stitch. Not to disfavor your pop's opinion, and by all means i am open to criticism, im sure there are old ways of fixing things I may be unaware of.
@typ4 's suggestion has me pondering about the advance mechanism of the cam gear... The adjustability of the pump combined with a constant advance mechanism...dialed in would mean constant low end torque and endless possibilities

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d be interested in an entire 3208 in my truck lol. Were they 10 or 10.4 liters? I don’t remember

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The curiosity and ingenuity of this is outstanding!

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did a quick "google search", it appears the 3208 injection pump is similar in price to DB2 which is great! I assume they also share similar availability? Would there be other mods required if you solve the gear hub issue? BTW, I agree with ShadetreeV, press fit is the way to go.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve driven an IH single axle dump truck (ex state truck) with a 3208 N/A with an Allison. It wasn’t fast by any means, but it did have some grunt when working it with a load.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting project. I've pondered this a few times, and feel the performance/cost benefit analysis just doesn't pan out. Same problem with the inline 8 cylinder MW pumps. These pumps are heavy, expensive to rebuild and lack a responsive advance mechanism. Still, somebody should do it at least once, to show what can be done. I commend your effort.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a timing advance gear for a 3208. not sure what all
they are used on, some marine apps and turbo.

You must be registered for see images attach

Kind of small lol
I’ll do some digging and see if I can buy one, it would be useful for a template for sure. Thanks again Russ

Meant to be , absolutely. This is the p-pump of the idi world if I may say so.
I would avoid any welding whatsoever on that gear though. The adapter hub is a fantastic idea especially if indexable, but only if you can manage a press fit adapter or a class 3a threaded fitment. Welding cast my experience does some wierd things to the metallurgy, and the only semi reliable method ive seen for filling gaps without sacrificing tolerances to crazy mounts of heat is lock -n-stitch. Not to disfavor your pop's opinion, and by all means i am open to criticism, im sure there are old ways of fixing things I may be unaware of.
@typ4 's suggestion has me pondering about the advance mechanism of the cam gear... The adjustability of the pump combined with a constant advance mechanism...dialed in would mean constant low end torque and endless possibilities

I completely agree that welding cast is far from ideal, but for testing purposes it may be what I do, down the road I’d like to machine the input shaft to accept a key way which would simplify the whole deal, could even turn it down in a lathe to the same ID as the db2, but it may compromise it’s durability in higher horsepower engines, that will be a question for my pump guy when I drive up to see him next.

I’d be interested in an entire 3208 in my truck lol. Were they 10 or 10.4 liters? I don’t remember

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plan on a lot of metal work, some stiff front suspension, no room to work on anything, but the best sounding diesel around.

The curiosity and ingenuity of this is outstanding!

Just crazy and a glutton for punishment, we’ll see how it goes with some real progress gets done.

@Thewespaul When you finally get everything sorted, build an engine with this pump and paint it cat yellow. Then take it to a dealer to get the timing set :rotflmao

Yessir I want 52* of advance... yes I know that’s not to spec... yes...

Just did a quick "google search", it appears the 3208 injection pump is similar in price to DB2 which is great! I assume they also share similar availability? Would there be other mods required if you solve the gear hub issue? BTW, I agree with ShadetreeV, press fit is the way to go.

They aren’t quite as available as the db2s but these engines came in a lot of different things, so the parts are out there. Internal modifications really depend on how much fuel you want out of it, there’s guys tractor pulling with this pump making over 2000 horsepower. They are fairly cheap to rebuild for inline pump standards, especially if you can find a good core that isn’t contaminated. Once contaminated you’re looking at a lot of money for replacing parts, plungers are $150 a piece and there’s 8 so...

I’ve driven an IH single axle dump truck (ex state truck) with a 3208 N/A with an Allison. It wasn’t fast by any means, but it did have some grunt when working it with a load.

When we upgraded to our 3116 I thought it was a HotRod compared to the 3208. And when 175 horsepower feels fast in a 30k lbs truck...

Way Cool Stuff; we all need a little more out of the box thinkin!

Thanks man!

Interesting project. I've pondered this a few times, and feel the performance/cost benefit analysis just doesn't pan out. Same problem with the inline 8 cylinder MW pumps. These pumps are heavy, expensive to rebuild and lack a responsive advance mechanism. Still, somebody should do it at least once, to show what can be done. I commend your effort.

Thanks Mel, the advance was an issue for me at first but I’m willing to give it up considering the other advantages this pump had over others, and talking to my pump guy I think we have a plan to make an independent and adjustable advance, but that’s much further down the road.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really appreciate all the interest and ideas/suggestions. It really helps me to plan things out by listening to others and typing out my thoughts on a screen to re-scrutinize them. I’ll see if I can find time this weekend to explore the cam gear option.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I think running a 3208 pump will give you issues running WMO.
They don't even like dirty fuel, I can just imagine how much it'd hate WMO. LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac