3208 In-line Pump Conversion for the IDI

cheap bronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m curious on the fuel lines. Given that they all need to be the same length. What type of lines are going to be used

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think running a 3208 pump will give you issues running WMO.
They don't even like dirty fuel, I can just imagine how much it'd hate WMO. LOL
I really don’t like wmo at all, much prefer wvo. I know of a few who have run alternate fuels in the old cats without issue, it really comes down to how much work you put into it before you pour it into the tank, I’ll definitely be a test dummy and run it myself before I suggest anyone else does.

If, for some reason, a custom gear is needed. Boston Gear can make anything you need and cheaply. They also have a ton of gears they stock. I needed a gear for my lathe a few years back, turned out to be a custom gear. It was under $100.

www.bostongear.com

Thanks for the tip, I’ll give them a shout when if the opportunity arises, I’m going to be using NCC fab here in San Antonio for the timing case and support bracket design and building so if they aren’t able to build the hub or gear then I’ll give those guys a call. But otherwise

I am really looking forward to see what comes of this!

Me too, surprised no one has told me I’m crazy for trying yet, nothin but support from oilburners:rolleyes:

I’m curious on the fuel lines. Given that they all need to be the same length. What type of lines are going to be used

I’ll most likely use stainless, the lines really aren’t bad to make, just got to plan ahead and not screw yourself down the road. Just takes a lot of planning and time

Me too! You rock Wes!

Thank Rich!

TurboSurge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Thewespaul
An instructor at the diesel school I went to had a 79 Ford that had the 3208. His was turboed and that engine bay looked like a Japanese one. No freakin room at all! He ran 2 tanks, one with pump diesel and the other was WVO. He started it on the diesel and than when the engine warmed up he switched it to the WVO. Before he shut it down he would switch back to diesel to flush the lines. He had a coolant line ran back to the tank and it zig zagged across the bottom to heat the WVO. It ran like a scalled dog until he forgot to switch it back to diesel.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Thewespaul
An instructor at the diesel school I went to had a 79 Ford that had the 3208. His was turboed and that engine bay looked like a Japanese one. No freakin room at all! He ran 2 tanks, one with pump diesel and the other was WVO. He started it on the diesel and than when the engine warmed up he switched it to the WVO. Before he shut it down he would switch back to diesel to flush the lines. He had a coolant line ran back to the tank and it zig zagged across the bottom to heat the WVO. It ran like a scalled dog until he forgot to switch it back to diesel.
What engine in the '79?

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
surprised no one has told me I’m crazy for trying yet

Why would we do that?
For the performance gains, I believe it will be cost prohibitive for most people, but it should also work depending on how it's implemented.

It's just like the old conversations about getting an inline pump to work, it's an interesting project, just out of the realm of feasibility for most people, even though we know it's been done and made stupid power.......

Or you could liken it to "He who shall not be named" (really this is only because I can't remember his name LOL) who used to play with governor springs, who we never really discouraged, we just tried to make him understand that an otherwise stock IDI will NOT retain longevity spinning at 4500+ rpm all the time........

I'm sure most of us are interested in seeing this actually run.

I remembered his name! DYoung14!

Chemgrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is freaking Awesome. Great idea, absolutely fantastic idea. This has got to cost less than a Cummins conversion and the reason I wanted to do the Cummins conversion was for the pump as I think the IDI engine is a good platform for making decent power at least in the sub 500-600 hp range but as you mentioned the limiting factor is that darn pump. With this the only modification would be pump and turbos to take care of the extra fuel which is so much simpler than putting a big straight six in a truck designed for a V8.

Chemgrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really don't like people who tell you that something isn't possible because they can't do it. Dad and I turned an old FWD snowplow into a 4x4 tractor and while were doing it everyone one and their ******** brother kept telling us it was impossible. Well impossible has been running great and working fields for nearly 20 years now. That's why I never tell someone that something can't be done. It may be difficult and it may be expensive but not impossible.

Now as far as your gear goes couldn't you turn the inside taper of the DB2 gear out with a lathe? You could use always shim it if necessary? You could cut a slot in the shaft of the 3208 pump and key them both to prevent and movement. Is there any reason why that wouldn't work?